1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Gregs wade extruder gear not injection molded?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CAMBO3D, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

hmm...why wasn't the gregs wade extruder gears not injection molded this was discussed throughout the campaign and its even listed in your parts list..... come on guys...anymore changes we need to know about!?

2 people like this.
  2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Where did you read that? It's listed in the .stl files they uploaded and I thought those where the parts they are getting molded.

3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

4. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

The title of the Thingiverse is "The Robo3D Printer". The description says:" Almost complete RoBo 3D Printer..."
    I'm assuming, and can verify this for you with the team, is that they are posting an almost full robo 3d printer, incase you need a replacement part, or want the size of the injection molding so you can make attachments, cases, ect. like people have requested. I will ask the team to verify this.
    - HV

2 people like this.
  5. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

2 people like this.
  6. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I think you "might" be jumping to conclusions here Cambo3D... or you could be absolutely correct... lol
    Let Harry ask the team before freaking out....

7. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Our plastic injection molded manufacturer said that it was not possible to make a tooling for the gregs wade gear due to the shape of the curvatures in the gear. The actual straight gear that we molded actually has more torque. You can easily print out the gregs wade gear and switch it out if anyone prefers that.

8. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

the purpose of the gregs wade herringbone gear, is to have more torque, it also helps backlash. That is why most people switched to it than the standard type gear. But if you say your design for a standard gear is better, well i guess we will have to try it out and find out.

2 people like this.
  9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

We understand Cambo. We tried to get that gear molded originally. Our manufacturer cannot do a mold for it. So we had to go with the other gear molded. If you would like to print it, it is just a few screws out and you can change the gear to the herringbone.

10. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

"Our plastic injection molded manufacturer said that it was not possible to make a tooling for the gregs wade gear due to the shape of the curvatures in the gear. The actual straight gear that we molded actually has more torque. You can easily print out the gregs wade gear and switch it out if anyone prefers that."

the photos you guys showed on the kickstarter campaign was injection molded herringbone gears, was it not? I'm pretty sure it was. where did you get that one from? why was this not possible when you clearly have an injection molded herringbone gear in the photo. That is was what we were told we were getting. Yes it can be printed, but injection molded for quality and durability was discussed.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  11. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Cambo, would you mind telling me why you are so dire for this Gregs wade gear? If they are saying theirs works better, why not just wait and see?

12. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

The point here is we are not getting what was stated in the kickstarter campaign. at least for the herringbone gear anyway.

2 people like this.
  13. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

CAMBO3D, welcome to Kickstarter. Things do change as projects move along, kinks get worked out. I've got at least one where they are 6 months behind, and the product is nearly obsolete now. It happens. We all knew that the printer was a work in progress when we pledged, and that's why things changed: reality reared it's ugly head and the manufacturer wasn't able to mold the gear in the proposed format. So get your printer and print the one you want. I'm sure we'll have a list of mods a page high within a year of getting the printers.

14. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

If they switched gears because they couldn't get the wades one manufactured either correctly or at the price point which they needed I understand. It's not like they said fuck it lets just print them a gear... They did pay to have one molded so if it's not the wades I'm sure there was a reason why.

Lets wait to see how it prints before we let it upset us to much.

And remember the 1.75mm filament needs less pressure to print than 3mm so it could be a non-issue.

15. rohrej

rohrej New Member

I think the issue here is not that the design changed, but that the investors were not informed until one of us "caught" the change by seeing the parts on thingiverse.

If the robo team had posted an update and said:
    "There has been a minor design change, due to limitations of the molding technology in use. The extruder gears are now going to straight-cut instead of double-helix, but the new design is stronger than the old one. Also, printed double-helix gears will be a direct fit replacement if the user prefers them. Here is the updated parts list showing the change."

Then there would be no issue. As it stands the robo team comes off looking like they tried to sneak in a change that reduces the quality of what they are delivering without anybody knowing until it's too late. Whether it's true or not, that is the perception given to the investors based on the actions taken and lack of communication.

2 people like this.
  16. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I agree.... The team should of been up-front about this.

2 people like this.
  17. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

My personal perception is that the original design changed. Big deal. The herringbone gear is likely the most visible of lots and lots of changes that have come about along the way. My interest is in getting a working printer and RoBo is the one I put my money into. I have no doubt that I will be making lots of changes to it on my own. However, the undercurrent of "Wow, they're ripping me off by cheaping out on the design." is not a place I wish to go. Works-in-progress require a degree of flexibility on everyone's part. If anyone is feeling badly about their initial decision to purchase this particular printer, I'm sure there are plenty of people ready to buy your slot from you.

2 people like this.
  18. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the herringbone gear was designed to work around a strength issue relating to printing gears off of a 3d printer. As I've read over the last few months the issue with printing 3d gears is they tend to not be as strong as injection molding or forged pieces. And by using the herringbone design it gave greater strength to the printed part.

If the injected part works as well as the 3d printing herringbone I don't see an issue myself. *shrug*

2 people like this.
  19. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

so its obviously possible from the pictures you showed. so what's the real reason?????????

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  20. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Your killing us Cambo.... The printer is going to be great...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.