1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Gregs wade extruder gear not injection molded?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CAMBO3D, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

This would make sense, I could see a 3D printer spur gear having problems. Double Helix gears gradually engage multiple teeth at a time, which would re leave stress. There is nothing wrong with spur gears, I'm sure it will be fine and there will be no functional difference between the two.

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

there is a difference, when you get your machine go print a herringbone gear and compare it to the standard gear (printed not molded). There is a reason why the majority of 3d printer users prefer the herringbone gear. Robo3d even used this gear throughout the campaign.

not being able to injection mold is bs. There's obviously a picture of an injection molded herringbone gear.
    so say again what's the real reason for not using it? I just want honest answers here.

first the heatbed platform now this.. what's next?????

2 people like this.
  3. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I thought those pictures are just what where going to be injection molded, how would they have them molded way before the molds are done? I figured they where actually 3D printed. On they update they posted I don't see where they say those parts are actually injection molded.

4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

those were the prototypes they received from the injection molder.
    its clear as day in the updates and forum discussion

2 people like this.
  5. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

The parts in the picture are CNC machined prototype pieces not plastic injection molded parts. The tooling for injection molding of the herringbone gear was what our manufacturer was not capable of doing. It bums us out as much as you all as our goal was to injection mold the herringbone gears. The good thing is that every printer will have injection molded parts.

6. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

It doesn't matter what gear it has as long as it prints well. If it prints amazing quality 3D objects are you still going to replace the gear? That would be like upgrading the RAM on your computer even though it ran perfectly just because others said your computer would be better if you only had more RAM.

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

@JDM: And I've certainly never heard of anyone doing anything like that ;)

8. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I know 2 people that have done it... lol
    :p

9. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I just bought 16gb of ram to add to my 8gb. :p

10. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Ok.. I know 3 people that have done it.

11. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

I know at least 4 or 5 who've done that JDM_, so you know 3 people who have done that and 1 person who knows 4 or 5 people who've done it. ahhah

2 people like this.
  12. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

13. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

It's interesting to know now your saying those parts were cnc machined prototypes, when in the campaign you played these off as injection molded prototypes. Might I add those are extremely nice cnc made parts. Whatever the case maybe, why did you guys not tell us this? How about an update for gods sake. Are you guys still planning on shipping the march tiers sometime this month? What's going on with the heated bed, Is the birch ply still being used? how far along are you guys in production?

2 people like this.
  14. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Cambo. Dude. What's going on? You sound like you are about to blow a gasket or something. As all of the parts have reportedly been ordered, including a birch ply bed, that is probably what is going to happen. Instead of a "RoBo farm" printing away like crazy, the guys went ahead and got as many injection molded parts as they could. Good for us and good for them. And, everybody, I'm not sure why you made the decision to buy a RoBo but for me, it was price. It was the largest volume build with least cost (by far). I think that we have purchased low end and are getting something much better than what could be. We have not purchased a Ferrari and will be getting a Miata. Somewhere along the way of the other way around...

15. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I don't think this is worth getting so worked up about. If the printer works great than it shouldn't matter what gear is in it. Like I said before It's not like they decided to print one. They paid to get one injection molded so if they had to get a different gear made because their supplier couldn't make the wades then it's not their fault. It is their fault they didn't communicate this to their backers though.

I think this is more of a communication issue. The team just doesn't understand how detail-orientated some of their backers are. They should consider assigning a "backer relations" member to the team and allow him/her to be active in the forum passing info wether they deem it important or not. Harry is doing a great job but he can only give us information he has been given.

I think team RoBo is doing a very good job so far... and I'm sure we will all agree from day 1 they have not been very active relaying info... This is an area they should try to improve. That being said I'm sure they are swamped and possible feeling overwhelmed by now. They are looking a 4 month strait of assembling close to 1000 printers. I'm sure thats a grind... :)

16. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I'm with Cambo on one thing, I'd like a update. :)

3 people like this.
  17. rohrej

rohrej New Member

+1 for an update!

3 people like this.
  18. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

Wow, some people can't be happy bashing Kickstarter creators on Kickstarter, they move over to the forums to bash them here. Apples and Oranges, Cambo3D, they may look totally different but they are both delicious. You say Tomato and I say Toe mah toe. I have noticed that almost the exact same people go pledging $1 on just about every 3D printer that gets started on Kickstarter... Sometimes I wonder if:

A: these people just want a room full of printers
    B: they want to nitpick the creators to make sure they are legit.
    C: they are the 3D Gestapo police to protect the public from evil Kickstarter projects.
    D: a dollar allows them to post their 2 cents worth.

I have nothing against you Cambo3D, but your constant unreasonable bantering over 1 piece of a multi-piece printer because it was assumed (not proven) that the Herringbone gear was a molded piece, now it's too good looking to have come from a CNC machine, that the piece was shown in videos of the working prototype, and now is being replaced with a gear that the manufacturers are stating is better than the herringbone gear, but if you wish, you can print a herringbone gear out and replace it if you so desire.

Why not ask them to send a printed out version to be shipped with your order (assuming you did pledge for a printer and not the 1 dollar bitching rights)

2 people like this.
  19. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

pclabtech, you could not have said it better.

20. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Lets keep it positive in the forum please.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.