1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hairspray Survey

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Thor, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Tony,
    PLA or ABS? I'll have to try it. Sometimes it is difficult to unstick the model with Aquanet. I usually print PLA at 40C. I have not tried ABS yet.

Steve

2. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

PLA
    Watch this and see at the end of the video how eazy i get the model off the bed. I hardly had to move my finger to get it off, yet it would stick during print :)

I dont have any ABS anymore, ran out so i cant test it the same way. But i assume it would work just fine because i print at same temp 230c
    For ABS u MUST set your temp to 110 or above 150 is max to keep corners from curling up (AKA WARPING).

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

For Aussie Robo'ers the Sunsilk "Daring Volume" hairspray on a clean glass bed (5mm window glass) does seem to work ok with ABS. The ABS sticks during the print and pops off when the bed cools down.

I cleaned the glass with ordinary toothpaste (not a gel) to remove any residual oils/film then dishwashing liquid so it was squeaky clean. Light spray of hairspray in the build area and let it dry.

This was only one test, so this brand may not be the best to use. But so good so far (and easy and cheap).

4. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I didnt clean my glass. Left all my fatty finger marks on it. Just applied a layer of gel and touched it some more.
    50-60c bed temp helps to stick.
    As u can see in my video it works great.
    I printed 2 rolls of ABS and PLA doing nothing but testing and testing.
    This is my final test. It works and i am sticking to it.

5. aux

aux New Member

First print success in Perth Australia using;

Schwarzkopf Professional Quality TAFT styling lacquer

Alcohol Denat, Butane, Propane, Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Diethylhexl Succinate, Fragrance , Cyclopentasiloxane

6. sammie

sammie Member

#46 sammie, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

I'm Suave Extreme Hold on a laquer thinner dampened paper towel. Only 'unscented' extreme hold at Dollar General. Bed at 75C. Holds like glue throughout print and lets go on it's own when bed comes back to room temp.

Ingredients: water, dimethyl ether, sd alcohol 40-b, va/crotonates/vinyl neodecanoate copolymer, acrylates copolymer, aminomethyl propanol, sodium benzoate, cyclohexylamine, triethyl citrate, cyclopentasiloxane, sodium pca, masking fragrance, tocopherol [vitamin e], panthenol, butylene glycol, amp-isostearoyl hydrolyzed soy protein

#47 donhuevo, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  8. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I think these are the key ingredients that allows for the adhesion:
    vinyl neodecanoate copolymer, acrylates copolymer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

9. djchew

djchew New Member

bain de terre infinite hold firm finishing spray
    Works okay. I used 60 degree print bed. Everything seemed to stick good, but the parts often didn't come off easily after the print or after the bed cooled. Worked with blue painter's tape, or not tape, on glass print bead.
    Ingredients: alcohol denat, hydrofluorocarrbon 152a, water/aqua/eua, va/crotonates/vinyl, neodecanoate copolymer, butane, aminomethyl propanol, linum usitatissimum (linseed) seed extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed wxtract, hydrolyzed ota protein, hydrolyzed soy protein, lycium barbarum fruit extract, magnolia acuminata bark extract, panthenol, glycerin, ribes nigrum (black currant) fruit extract, tocopheryl acetate, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, avena sativa (oat) kernel protein, ginkgo biloba leaf extract, c12-115 alkyl benzoate, ammonium benzoate, ascorbic acid, benzophenone-4, butylene glycol, phenyl trimethicone, propylene glycol, fragrance/parfum.

TRESemme tres two extra hold hair spray
    Writing on the can says 'superior hold with touchable feel' and 'all day humidity resistance'
    Did not work really at all. It dried too fast with the print bed at 60 degrees. Didn't try any lower since these settings worked with the last hair spray. No tape used on glass print bead.
    Ingredients: alcohol denat., hydrofluorocarrbon 152a, va/crotonates/vinyl, neodecanoate copolymer, octylacrylamide/acrylates/butylaminoethyl methacrylate copolymer, aminomethyl propanol, dimethyl stearamine, parfum.

aussie mega hairspray finish
    Writing on the can says 'flexible hold'
    Has worked great so far in three prints with 60 degree bed. Very thin support material not sticking has been the only issue I have seen. No tape used on glass print bead.
    Ingredients: water/eua, dimethyl ether, alcohol denat., acrylates copolymer, acrylates/octylacrylamide copolymer, aminomethyl propanol, cyclopentasiloxane, fragrance/parfum, thymus vulgaris (thyme) flower/leaf extract, anigozanthos flavidus flower/leaf extract, ethylhexyl, methoxycinnamate, peg-8 dimethicone, acetamide mea, ammonium benzoate.

10. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Blue m3 tape #2090 is best. Works only on cold bed so its perfect for pla.
    It lasts for quet allot if prints before change is needed. $5 roll will last for long time.
    Abs does need something stronger. Abs pull do hard it peals off tape from the bed, so capton tape maybe. Or what ever sticjs to bed and stays hard at high temps just apply abs juice.

11. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I found a can of Black & Gold Hair Spray lying around and the ingredients look to cover what's required. I've been using it on a 65C bed with PLA and it holds well. The print pops off easily when the bed falls below 50C or so. The pic shows how I apply it to the bed to greatly reduce any over spray.

IMG_3188.JPG
    hairspray2.jpg

12. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

its a mess.
    Plus you need to heat up your bed for it to work.
    Not only heat it up, but you have to wait for bed to cool down before part becomes easy removable.

Too much time wasted so i went tape shopping and found that #2090 works best but only when cold, which is great news for PLA prints.

ABS is a different story.

I like your cleaner and a guide system :)
    Why haven't you printed bed upgrade ? Look in my thingiverse link below, i have one that works great.

13. Galaxius

I'm in the process of printing your bed upgrade. I've done the bearing housings, on my heated bed with hairspray because I was impatient. I now have the #2090 tape to apply and print the rest of the parts on. Thanks.

My filament cleaner/oiler is on Thingiverse along with instructions.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Link please? Searching thingiverse is... painful. Oiler gets a lot of hits :)

15. Galaxius

2 people like this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nicely done.

17. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

The cleaner thing is awesome, i use it already.
    I even implemented it into direct extruder am working on.
    If you could sell those, u'd be a millionare by now :)

18. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I'm getting a little confuse as to what people like and don't like, as far as hair spray vs painter tape (3M 2090). I understand it is personal preference, but does one really work better than the other or are they for the most part the same.

Also do you need to heat the bed when using PLA and hairspray, or painter's tape.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have used both and I would say that the painters tape is easier to get working.
    If you are close to the correct 1st layer height it will just work.

I prefer the hairspray on the glass*, but it is more sensitive to the first layer height... if that is off at all it will not work well.

*less to buy. Painters tape gets used up quicker than the hairspray.

20. Galaxius

Heated bed for hairspray, cold bed for tape.
    I've only used hairspray but will be using tape soon as I need to print some parts that extend outside the heat zone and I can't have any warping (tonycstech's bed upgrade).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.