1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hard Bounds on Cura slicer settings

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DavidR, Jan 17, 2018.

1. DavidR

DavidR Member

I am new to printing in general and am humbled by the enormous number of settings I can tweak. I was wondering what the extremes (i.e. the farthest I should take) the following settings (in Cura), specifically for the R2 printer:

Lowest print speed (when minimal layer time is set, will lower print speed appropriately unless it would require lowering below this speed) -

Maximum travel speed (mm/s) (for this one I would like what the avg value this should be set to as well. Cura recommends 150 but the Robo profile sets it at 100)

Maximum retraction distance (mm)

Max and Min retraction speed (mm/s)

Highest possible extruder temperature this device can safely be set to-

Highest possible bed temperature this device can safely be set to

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I will attempt to answer some of these

Max travel speed, I would leave at 100 mm/s, you will experience vibration artifacts if you use the firmware default values. You can play with faster speeds but the results will likely be less than optimal.

Maximum retraction should only be about 3 mm, but the key to retraction is you just want enough to not leave an artifact on the print. Too much and when you restart there won't be enough pressure to extrude. So less is more here.

Retaction speed is only limited by the amount of acceleration the stepper can stand without stuttering. The Robo default is basically the same as Marlin's firmware default.

Maximum extruder temperature is 300°C but in practical terms you can't exceed 290°C without RoboLCD spitting back 290°C at you, G-code can use temps up to 300°C but may result in an error since that is the hard firmware limit and the thermistors used in these printers drift considerably when the temps are that high. With few exceptions you won't be using any filament that needs that high a temperature. With the exception of PET filaments you usually want to extrude at the lowest possible temperature that provide smooth flow at the print speed you have selected. PET filaments generally like hotter temps to avoid stringing.

Highest bed temperature you can set is 125°C, but the RoboLCD will only allow you to input a value no higher than 100°C, if you try it will change your input to 100°C. Again G-code will allow setting higher, up to the firmware limit, guaranteed it will result in a temperature error and abort the print before the bed temp gets that high. For all practical purposes 100°C is about the limit. Here, because the bed has either a PEI or BuildTak surface the need for extreme heat is negated.

3D printing is never about extremes, it is all about compromise.

#2 WheresWaldo, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    supercazzola likes this.
  3. DavidR

DavidR Member

@WheresWaldo Thank you so much for your reply! Anything on min print speed? it is currently set at 10. Sort of unrelated, but how can I avoid stringing in a print like this? This was printed with the default settings on Robo's "high quality" profile for Cura. It's my understanding I should likely make retraction adjustments? I would like to avoid having to go through this with a tweezer :)

Attached Files:

4. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

What was your extruder temp for that print ? To me, I would think your temp was a bit too hot, but I am just learning as well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Agree with @supercazzola it was printed too hot. Where you want more heat is PET filaments (PETT & PETG), nearly all other filaments get stringy when printed too hot. Speed is one of those things you tune after everything else is just right. Once you get a good print, find a small item like Deprime (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:66175) or some other small test model, then you start ramping up the speed until you feel you have an acceptable loss of detail for the speed tradeoff. I routinely print on an unmodified R2 at 50 - 60 mm/s but did not start at that number. Started around 30 mm/s and ramped it up when I had what I considered a perfect print (I must have printed a hunderd Deprime models). With a stock R2 I find the acceptable loss of detail happens around 50 - 60 mm/s. It will be apparent in rounded corners and ringing on details that stick out of the main plane the print is in on most vertical surfaces.

Shrey likes this.
  6. DavidR

DavidR Member

@WheresWaldo Speed was 50. Filament was Robo PLA at 190. What temperature do you think I should try?

#6 DavidR, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Try changing temps 5°C in both directions with a small model like this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2219103
    If temps don't do it then increase retraction in 0.02 mm increments until either stringing stops or other issues manifest.

Do not believe anyone that gives you an absolute with regard to settings. I nor the other long time posters here will give you a one number specific answer to how something must be printed.

No matter what slicer you use, the video tutorials on S3D's website gives lots of good advice on what you can change to resolve certain issues. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

Shrey and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Exactly. Temperatures (for example) are an experiment for every spool/printer/room :) Test it and adjust it until the small test model works and then jot that number down.

9. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

I usually run mine at 60mm/s, but I have noticed bit of defects sometime I guess I’m printing out some deprime models tonight.

But also where’swaldo can you tell us the setting your run it at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Shrey No I can't because mine is way modified and there is no way you would be able to run at my settings with a stock R2.

11. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

Oh I see, well I’ll just start testing it from the lowest setting to higher and see where that lands me in narrowing it down. Thanks though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I already posted a bunch of suggestions in this thread. What usually works on a stock R2. I print about 50% faster than stock and could go even faster if I wanted to tweak the settings a bit more. That is why you can't rely on other people's settings. All 3D printer settings should be taken as a suggestion and not gospel.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Seriously though, every one is different: either the printer is slightly different or the filament is or the environment is and ... it all matters :)

Shrey likes this.