1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Haven't had a single successful print....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ccallaghan84, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccallaghan84

ccallaghan84 New Member

I've been trying to get this thing printing (40 or so different objects), but I'm beginning to lose my patience.

It will start printing objects fine. I get through maybe 30 layers or so, then it starts printing random spaghetti. Everything looks fine in MatterControl (although the application crashes if I try scanning through layers above 100).

I'm running MatterControl 1.1.7, because 1.2 doesn't slice correctly. I've tried all the different slicing engines, and it's always the same result. Even the built in library examples print the same way (minus the calibration ring, that actually printed correctly).

I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed for a printer that is supposedly "plug-n-play", or at least as plug-n-play as a 3d printer can get. Anyone have any ideas? I've uploaded an example.

At this point I'm almost considering junking it and using a service like shapeways. I got the printer because I didn't want to wait for service based printing, but at this point it's actually quicker....

Thanks for any help...

-Chris

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

First, you invested time and money in the printer (but none in the software*). There are other options.
    I would strongly suggest (at least) Repetier host before giving up.

This type of 'failure' usually happens because of either a slicing error (less likely since you tried different slicers) or a mechanical one (something has jumped a cog or slipped). I would not completely eliminate MC as an issue so you might want to try one of the other free packages first (Cura, Repetier host, etc). It sounds more like a software issue if you have gotten models taller than 30 layers to print.

*(a rough analogy would be buying a fancy new color laser printer and only using notepad--sorry notepad for the insult)

3. ccallaghan84

ccallaghan84 New Member

Could it be the firmware in the printer itself? Perhaps it's getting a command that it doesn't handle correctly?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sure, that is possible (however I would consider it unlikely--others would be in the same boat).

After all it can only be:
    -Mechanical
    -Printer electronics
    -Software (printer side or computer side).

If it were always failing at the same height/layers I would really suspect mechanical. Perhaps a loose belt or a mis-positioned nut on the Z carriage (that gets out of kilter on one side as it goes higher). If it were only one model or one software package at fault then that narrows it down as well.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

2 people like this.
  6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Mike's advice is really good. Get a few proven simple things that others have designed and have been demonstrated to be easily printable before you try anything else. This will help eliminate slicing issues as a cause.

If you continue to have this issue on other models, I'd add filament spooling / routing to the list of potential culprits as well.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.