1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Having issues printing taller than 3.5 inches

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mike Glass, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I have really enjoyed all the parts I have made with the Robo 3d R1, but seems when I print taller than 90mm the print starts to go off on the x and y axis. Could this be due to the screw drive wobbling, I also noticed a stress crack on one of the smooth rod supports, again excessive wobbling?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

The smooth rods don't really move a lot, as I rammed them with 2 sided sticky tape to fill the oblong holes, it's the screw rods that move at least half and inch, mid to top, and it makes a rattling noise from the screw rods when printing, seems to be getting worse. Is there a way to straighten the screw rods, or just get new ones?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The screw rods only lift the carriage they do not move it 'around' so as long as the smooth rods are working, the fact that the threaded rods wobble is not an impact.

The crack in the smooth rod base is a good thing to look at (and fix).

I have not seen this impact mine (and the threaded rods wobble -- a lot). There must be something else causing it to get off on the X/Y if the smooth rod base is not the issue.

Like @Mike Kelly said you can print the top braces... can't hurt.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The wobble you see is not caused by untrue rods.

It's a function of 2 things.

The first and most critical is the helical couplers. If the threaded rod is not perfectly centered it will move in an off circle. This off circle causes the rod to spin at an off angle. This causes wobble in prints.

The second is due to the nature of a coarse thread. To prevent excessive stiction the nut will wobble in a sinusoidal pattern around the rod. It's common to use these for linear motion in 3D printers for their low cost. The nut will stay flat and raise the part up but you'll see the rod wobble. This is normal and perfectly fine.

The smooth rods are there to stabalize this wobble and mitigate it. The stronger you support your rods the less wobble will be induced.

I know other printers use a small rod, like M6 or M5, which will reduce wobble and ribbing because the ribs will be too small to really see clearly.

6. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Should I get the smooth rod base replaced with a factory, or I have seen some that others have made on thingiverse.
    Here is a rod that I printed, I broke off the first 2.5 inches to test strength, but you you can clearly see it gets off center, above 3.5 inches.

Attached Files:

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes I suggested submitting a replacement part request.

Maybe also let them know about the wobble, they may ship you new threaded rods and helical couplers

8. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Thanks Mike, will do.

9. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I had an issue with one of my z threaded rod which had a screwed up thread right around the 100mm mark on one side.. The nut would not turn further up and almost get lodged in and hard to counter back.

It would keep printing but anything above 100 mm and it would only be lifted from one side properly and the other side would droop and make noise.

I got it replaced and it works fine now!

10. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

How long does it take for support to get back to you? 7 days and got an initial email and that its.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well it's the 5th working day. They were gone last week at CES at didn't get back till the weekend. Then monday they got a new shipment of printers that needed to be unpacked.

I'm trying to get ahold of jerry. I haven't heard from him in a while

12. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Support, Support, wherever you are? Come out to play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.