1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

having issues with sticking(or not), oozing, and other fun stuff

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mattchu, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

So I have had only one semi successful print which was the initial calibration cube. It seemed to start okay, it got closer to the top though, and broke free of the table (no tape at this point). print otherwise seemed okay, a little shallow around the base, but nothing otherwise in terms of shifting (I was able to lap the print evenly when I tried on its two solid surfaces, VERY good sign so far).

I attempt to print other models though, and the same issue occurs from then on out: it won't stick. It just peels off and sticks to the nozzle (unless I grabbed the tail and then it stuck...and even then it eventually broke loose of the bed very easily).

Using a combination of painter's tape, alcohol, and hair spray it seemed to stick better, though it disliked a transition (and immediately started to break loose).

Things learned thus far: that base layer is everything (which makes sense), and if it's no good, the whole printer turns sour real fast.

fun coding stuff: M302 is the code that overrides cold extrusion. As soon as I locate the codes for extrusion and movement, it's possible to create a script that would allow you to auto feed and press off some excess, and suck in/extrude the wire as a piece of insertable code before a print.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You will many of us already have code that does that in our profiles.

Also form your description of the problems you are having your z height is too high but you are right the first layer is key
    first every print should be sliced so that the print has at least t loops for a skirt then by looking at the skirt you can determine if the layer is going to be good or not.

I follow this rule if the skirt looks good continue on with the print if it looks bad stop re adjust the z height and restart the print you will not waste time or material that way.

Now what does a good layer look like well this is has been a very good example for me as well as many others as well
    first layer example.jpg this is only my opinion but it has worked well
    the skirt must be flattened but solid as seen above the skirt is the outside 2 lines actually it looks like single line but it really is two lines flattened so they almost merge together.

Also in this pic you see that there is one line that seems to be raised above the others that was when I was actrually lifting the z axis manually as it was printing and for those who are new if they saw a first layer made up of those lines they would mistakenly think it was a good first layer but that is actually too high it is not flattened enough and would probably lift eventually as you are seeing in your prints

The flattening means that the layer is being pressed onto the bed and helps keep it down.

So experiment with your skirts and try and get them looking as close to this one as you possibly can by adjusting the z height adjustment screw and follow that rule.

Try this and ask me more questions if you continue to have issues

3. Garnet

Garnet Member

Thanks for posting this, very helpful.

Can anyone suggest an extruder height and bed level tolerance? I've folded a number of sheets of paper (0.08mm) to use as a feeler gauge and my heights are as follows in mm, these were taken with painters tape on the bed which is 0.11mm thick:

Left Right
    Rear: 1.00 0.88
    Front: 0.68 0.68

The first print test did not stick to the bed, the cold extrusion measured 0.38mm so I'm guessing the extruder height should be about 0.20mm to mush it into the bed?

I'm panning on setting this height manually (once I orient the switch correctly). Is anyone doing it within Slic3r? It looks like it could be adjusted via 'First Layer Height' or 'Z Offset'.

Also how are you adjusting the bed along the y axis? The variance between the front and rear of the bed is greater than what I'm guessing the extruder height should be.

Thanks

4. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

are you using PLA or ABS? the PLA won't stick to the painter's tape very well, from what Tesseract has told me, and I gave up on it. Oddly, Aquanet (specifically, as I've tried about 4 other similar products...you should have seen the looks I was getting in the store, as I'm quite bald lol) seems to be the go to for assisting in getting most things to stick really well to the bed. For adjust variances, Tesseract's bed levelers on thingiverse have worked fantastic in tandem with an indicator (preferably dial, digital's won't show you the inbetweens as well).

in terms of using a feeler gauge for proper height, it's a bit of a trial and error process. What I found worked well for me is using a business card with the y axis set to the middle position, and setting the switch side first to where the card is just barely making contact with the nozzle, then move over and do the other side to the same height. I'll then move back over, and bring the nozzle down to where the card still slides under, but you can feel pressure put on the card (not enough that you have to force it a lot to move), set the switch, then go over and bring the otherside to the same level. check the switch side again to make sure it's not moved. once there I usually either use slicer or the screw to set my height closer (using trial and error as above).

link for the bed levelers: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:125626

and a list of helpful tools!
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/useful-tools.644/#post-1609

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Garnet, One thing I think you will find is that using absolutes is really a waste of time there are so many difference in filaments, ambient temperatures, humidity, etc. that it makes it almost impossible to use the same settings for every print.

There are mechnical setting as to how the printer operates like getting the bed level that can be done using absolutes. The business cord setup process is only teh first very rough step inorder to bing out good to high quality rpints there is another layer of adjustment that needs to be made. This is very fluid and dynamic it is based on how the filament is responding during that particular print and is a visual process the results are obtained while the first aspect of teh print is actually being extruded and then chacked to see if they meet certain desired results and if so the print is ok to go if not the print is stopped and adjustments are made and the print is restarted.
    That image above is what I use to determine if the print will work or not It is hard to describe better to walk you through so you can learn it let me know when you can go spend some time on it and I can go through it with you and show you what to look for.

Skype works really well for this as we can IM and send pic so I can see what you are seeing on the print

send me a contact reqtuest at Jeff Janes or jj.tesseract on skype if you want.

6. Garnet

Garnet Member

Thanks Mattchu. The print levelers looks great (as soon as I get my Robo printing that is). I have a micrometer, which I'm using to the measure the paper. I selected a business card that measures 0.28mm and leveled it side to side, the back is still a little lower but the levelers should help with that.

I'm using ABS. I know many say to start with PLA, but I only have a small sample of it and a lot of ABS and it's what I want to work in anyway.

7. Garnet

Garnet Member

Jeff, that is great, thank you. I understand what your saying about it being fluid, I think that's something that a lot of nubies like me might not appreciate at first. I just wanted to make sure I was in the ballpark to begin before getting to the fluid part.

I'll send you a skype request and see how my next print goes.

Cheers.

8. Memnoch

Memnoch New Member

i am getting frustrated... no matter how well i get the layer adjusted... the plastic curls up toward the extruder as it is printing.. can't get beyond the skirt.. as soon as it starts to lay down the layers for the "thing", it curls up and the print is ruined.... sometimes i can get the first two layers down (they look like crap), then it catches and ruins the print... any suggestions. I am using a piece of paper to get the height set.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

you're still too high. The paper is really just for leveling the z axis, not for calibrating print height. Ditch it and work on feeling now, you're close trust me.

Once you have your paper height calibrated, center (x~110 y~125) your nozzle in your bed, slowly twist both z rods the same amount until your nozzle touches the build platform. Then twist them up slightly until you can see the tiniest amount of light underneath. Still practically touching but not resting on the board.

Once you get this down move your nozzle from side to side along x to make sure it's still level. It's more important for your nozzle tip to look correct in the center than on the edges.

Once you get this you need to adjust your z stop position. Retract the z stop screw until the switch deactivates then slowly turn it back in until the switch reactivates. Raise your z axis +10 and home it. Check your settings and repeat as necessary.

Now that your z stop is set it's time to start a print. Enable 2 skirts if you haven't. While the skirt is printing you can adjust your z screw rods to get the layer looking right. You're aiming for a flat line that merges nicely with it's neighboring line. Too high and it will leave a gap between the skirts, too low and it'll interfere with the other skirt and cause filament to collect on your nozzle, ruining your finish. Getting this right just takes a good eye and practice, but if you're here your print will probably still work. Blobs will smooth out in upper layers, but loose adhesion might pop off on tall prints.

2 people like this.
  10. Memnoch

Memnoch New Member

Thanks Mike... I will try again tommorow... just tired of it now.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The GOOD news is that once you have it setup, you do not have to change it often. Sanity check and tweak is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.