1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved HBP Temp fluctuating

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Aaroneus, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaroneus

Aaroneus New Member

This is a new problem within the last 5 days of normal use. The temp on the heated bed is fluctuating a lot and sometimes reporting 0 degreess. I've had a couple of failed ABS prints recently due to this issue, and I'm watching one crash/burn right now. The RepRap Discount LCD is reporting temps between 0-70 with a target temp of 110. It generally stays at 0 longer and more frequently than the higher temps.

What is the problem? Is the thermistor failing? Other issue?

My printer:
    • Robo3D R1 with bottom cover, hexagon hotend, etc
    • No modifications that could affect the HBP
    • Firmware: Auto_Level_6_10 with a few motion modifications (I've been running this for a while since before the problem
    • Hotend heater running in PID mode and tuned
    • HBP running in bang-bang mode
    Temp settings:
    • ABS: hotend: 240, HBP: 110
    • Max temp in firmware is 245 and 120
    If there is any other relevant info I can provide, please let me know.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

0 degrees sounds more like a flakey thermistor than an actual temperature issue.
    Granted if it can't tell what the temperature really is it will not be able to control it and down in flames you go.

3. Aaroneus

Aaroneus New Member

OK, now that it's cool I checked the resistance across the thermistor. It's reading at 98.8 at room temp. Both leads to the RAMPS are showing 0 resistance as well. Can I try connecting it to T2?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

well, if the ramps shows 0 resistance then there is a short in the wire loom to the thermistor.
    I assume you read across the leads at the RAMPS connection (with it disconnected from the RAMPS).

5. Aaroneus

Aaroneus New Member

Sorry, that was confusing: I tested across the leads on the connector (disconnected). I also tested across the thermistor alone and both legs of the leads independently. The thermistor reads 98.8 at room temp, then I put a incandescent lamp close to heat it up and it read 81 ohms, as it should.

I'm going to try it on T2. What do I need to change in pins.h to do this?

Code:
    #if (TEMP_SENSOR_1==0)
    #define TEMP_1_PIN         -1
    #define HEATER_1_PIN       -1
    #else
    #define HEATER_1_PIN        3    // EXTRUDER 2
    #if (TEMP_SENSOR_1==-1)
      #define TEMP_1_PIN         5    // ANALOG NUMBERING - connector *K2* on RUMBA thermocouple ADD ON is used
    #else
      #define TEMP_1_PIN         14   // ANALOG NUMBERING - default connector for thermistor *T1* on rumba board is used
    #endif
    #endif

#if (TEMP_SENSOR_2==0)
    #define TEMP_2_PIN         -1
    #define HEATER_2_PIN       -1
    #else
    #define HEATER_2_PIN        6    // EXTRUDER 3
    #if (TEMP_SENSOR_2==-1)
      #define TEMP_2_PIN         7    // ANALOG NUMBERING - connector *K3* on RUMBA thermocouple ADD ON is used <-- this can not be used when TEMP_SENSOR_BED is defined as thermocouple
    #else
      #define TEMP_2_PIN         13   // ANALOG NUMBERING - default connector for thermistor *T2* on rumba board is used
    #endif
    #endif

6. Aaroneus

Aaroneus New Member

I think the problem resolved itself. There must have been a loose connection that was not glaringly obvious. The HBP holds a steady temp...for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.