1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

heated bed drops the heat in middle of print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Emil, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emil

Emil New Member

I Have made good prints with PLA annd wanted to go over to ABS.

Started with heat the ext. And bed but the bed went to 92c and then started to drop, it didnt reach 100c.

Tried to manually set temp to different temperatures and then set 100c but it didnt work.

Restarted everything, pulled the cord. Tried again, same problem. Retried 10 times at least, once the temp dropped 1/3 into the print.

What could be wrong?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Emil to summarize the issue, the ramps board we believe is using a polyswitch rated to 11A. The heater should only be pulling 9A, but as the polyswitch heats up it's rating drops below 8A.

One solution that's being investigated is using a polyswitch rated to 14A so that even when it heats up, it will still have a high enough amp rating to drive the heater.

One fix, like mark suggested, is to add a fan to the ramps board. Keeping the polyswitch cool keeps it's amp rating above the needed amps for the heater and it won't trip shut.

4. rileyAR15

rileyAR15 New Member

Could someone if they have time post some pics were they placed fans for the bed heating issue on the robo 3d? I did look on the forums for some i may have missed them.
    Thanks

5. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

riley, contact Robo3dhelp@gmail.com. They posted that if you're having the bed cutout, they'll send you a fan that you can connect to the ramps board to fix this problem

6. rileyAR15

rileyAR15 New Member

I did order one of those solid state relays from amazon you had posted in your threads.

7. jdumbaugh

jdumbaugh Member

Awesome. Does anybody else notice 70% of the time spent on the Robo3D is spent fixing this thing or "making it right?"

heated_bed.jpg

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Nope.

I have spent a lot of time printing. However, the first few weeks was spent fiddling with things (and me learning what was going on mostly). I avoided the heatbed issue (so far) by installing a fan when the first reports of it came up... Some of the other 'fixing' was my own choice (like the E3D hotend swap). It was printing fine with the stock hot-end, but I wanted more flexibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.