1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Heated beds for PLA

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TheOneRaven, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOneRaven

TheOneRaven New Member

Hey guys,

So I've upgraded to a new hexagon hot end... that works well, I have the fans installed and went with http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:166452...

Now, I seem to be having problems with curling on my pieces, which was not a problem before with a bit of Kapton tape... and I've tried masking tape, and printing straight to the bed. I've printed hundreds of things with the Kapton tape bed. Now, because of the "cooling fan" on the new hex head, I think the airflow is causing warping and curling.

So, I've just ordered a heated bed. Does anyone know where I should plug this thing in on the RAMPS?

I'm in a cold basement and even with the main 40mm fan off I'm having curling. I'm hoping this new print bed works. Has anyone else experienced warping this bad?

I'm running PLA at 205/200 C... with 20% or NO FAN aside form the Hexagon hot end fan.... I just wonder if anyone else is having these issues.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That's your problem. As the weather gets colder, printing even PLA gets tricky without a heated build plate.

Run the bed around 50. If it's really cold down there or you're printing big parts, you may want to get an enclosure to keep some of the heat in.

4. TheOneRaven

TheOneRaven New Member

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

i used those for a while...no shame :)

6. TheOneRaven

TheOneRaven New Member

Any other suggestions? I would have liked the bed to have screw holes, but I think those are done?

7. TheOneRaven

TheOneRaven New Member

Also, I have a heater in my room with a thermometer and it's ready 60F... :p So yeah, It's chilly down here. Also, that is 60F with electric heat, so it's very dry in this room, more like 58 to the "feel".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.