1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello...Newbie here

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by arealgijoe, May 20, 2015.

1. arealgijoe

arealgijoe New Member

I been into 3D since the 70s...ops I mean 3D photography. I'm an old dog learning (or trying) new tricks. My new Robo 3D R1 came yesterday. I had already downloaded 123D software and watching videos on 3D printing and about the Robo 3D printer.

So far not much useful or not downright UGLY. I gave up after over 6hrs after it came yesterday trying to get it even linked with my computer. I called ROBO 3D support today and was at least able to get the computer driver installed and it worta runs. I had already downloaded Matter Control earlier last week.

My first attempt was the whistle which quit long before it was done. Did not look anything like part of a whistle, more like a very very tiny toy model ship. (note master control crashed) Next I tried the business card holder, This time Master Control did not crash but the filament quit flowing after just a few layers.

Anywho, I am a tinkering type and hope to be able to make useful things for every day and especially things for my model N scale railroad. A year or so ago I took a dive into DCC operation and LOVE the new technology. I have converted most of my locos to DCC, some nearly 30 years old, long before DCC appeared.

This venture in 3D printing reminds me of my early home computing days. I scavenged for parts and kits to assemble a board computer with RCA 1802(?) CMOS CPU, a whopping 256 BYTES of memory including video display (6 lines/16 characters per line max) I expanded it 11K, ASCII keyboard (home made PCB from scratch, using a trashed teletype keyboard switch set).

Like I said, I am an OLD salty (Navy Vet) dog venturing in stormy seas. I just hope not too stormy.

JD

Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Welcome. Former submariner myself :)

3. barry ginsberg

barry ginsberg New Member

I agree this is new and very primitive technology, but keeping it up and running is part of the fun (but i am retired and have the time).
    Its sort of like the early days of the Apple II and RadioShack Tandy computers

barry

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Tinkering with my printer is the best part for me. Though some days I wish I could let it be as it is for a while before the urge to do something else comes along :)

Welcome aboard!

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Exactly. 3D printing is today what PCs were in the early 80's