1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Help feeding the filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John H, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John H

John H Member

Ok when I started i used the PLA the first try I was able to feed the filament no problem , then I switched to the ABS , It took me about 15 mins to get it now I wanted to change the color of the ABS to another color and Now I can't fed it for the love of money , 2 hrs Im at , THIS is ridiculous , this really can't take this long , Im about to pick the robo 3d machine and toss it against the wall , I read the other thread , wiggle it , inch down, Im mean really its like a needled in a haystack. I losing hope, just was able to get a few nice prints now I can't change the filament . What should I do waste another 2 hrs of aggravating the piss out myself or what?

2. John H

John H Member

This has to be a design flaw . A brand new machine and 6 prints and I can't change the filament . It was working fine until I cut one color to change another, I mean what if I was doing a multi colored print Its almost 3 hrs of trying to get the filament to feed , and yes I tried the other stuff, no luck, I actually have a calus on my thumb trying to hold back those springs , That shit hurts after 3 hrs, the nossle is at 230 degrees making it pretty hot and adding to my misery . This is not what I planned on doing on my Sunday.. If its going to be this difficult to feed the filament , I will be selling my Robo3d .

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hold back the springs?

Unless something has changed on newer models you remove the screws that have the springs attached to feed or change filament (requires a phillips head screwdriver)...

remove the screws, open the extruder latch, with the nozzle at temp for printing, pull the old filament out, push the new in, put screws back in, feed a little manually to get it extruding and you are done.

4. John H

John H Member

video shows holding back the springs .

2 people like this.
  5. John H

John H Member

do I take off the screws? IDK

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have never changed the filament w/o removing the screws, but whatever works for you :)
    It only takes a minute to remove them, pull the old filament out, put the new filament in and replace the screws.

7. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Oh wow. No, you don't have to pull the springs back and hold them - the thumb lever they show to help hold back the springs is new but you can just unscrew the springs. Be careful because they like to ping around and you will probably lose the washers in a stupid place once or twice before you get the hang of it.

It is totally not supposed to be that hard, you just gotta do it differently and then it should be okay. Deep breaths, don't let the printer defeat you. :D

8. savior2064

savior2064 Member

Did you pull the filament out after cutting it. It takes less than a minute to change the filament

9. John H

John H Member

i can't get it wuuusaa, inner zen is gone .

10. John H

John H Member

I didn't pull it out it just cut it and thought I could manually feed it thru.

11. John H

John H Member

BTW its taking me over 3 hrs to change it 1 min not here.

12. John H

John H Member

I GOT IT .. I took off the 2 screws jimmied it . I got it .. what a pain in the arse. NOT FUN<< -1 for robo

13. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I did this mod. It's save me a lot if mocking around with screw drivers. I'm also considering printing a new filament guide with a thumb lever. That's the awesome thing about 3D printers, they print their own upgrades.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:294156

14. Galaxius

I forgot to add, before you feed your new filament make sure the end is cut in an angle, it will make it much easier.

15. savior2064

savior2064 Member

Eventually you will be able to cut pull the execess filament out, and loading it. Without unscrewing it only using that thumb lever within minutes

16. John H

John H Member

Ok Now Im trying to use flex pla , and I can feed it manually through the extruder i see filament coming thru the hot end .. I feed it it goes thru .. i start a print it dosnt feed .. This is crazy I can't reload filament . I been at it for 2 hr, i wasted about 10 foot of filament. will a better extruder allow me to change filament 1,2,3 this is nuts ..

17. John H

John H Member

I'm about ready toss this fing machine .. i press extrude in matter control and it feeds. I press start the filament jams .

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the FlexPLA is like NinjaFlex there is likely more to do than just press print.
    I can give you advice on NinjaFlex (it was a bear to get working) but I have not tried the FlexPLA.
    Does normal PLA work for you?

19. Galaxius

Perfect plain PLA before moving to more exotic filaments. Flexible filament generally needs to be supported between the extruded and the coldend and will have different temp and speed requirements. There's been discussions regarding ninja flex on the forum, if you do a search you should find the thread.

20. John H

John H Member

I can get normal PLA to print no problem. And ABS,, Im using Formfutra flex PLa i was told it was the same to print as regular pla.
    My problem is feeding the filament , It says 185 is the temp . I have it set to 190 ,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.