1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Help or suggest re first couple layers...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tony Wissler, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Wissler

Tony Wissler New Member

Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening with my prints (see pics).
    It is only the first couple layers that have these 'lines' in them. The rest of the print and the tops look much, much better. I tried a few different things. Tried increasing the number of solid layers. Tried upping the infill. Tried switching from Medium to High level.
    As you see in the pics, I have having this problem with the packaged blue PLA and a better quality Black PLA.
    Using MatterControl with a stock Robo3D R1 (PLA/ABS) with heated bed.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That looks like the first layer is just a tiny bit too high, reduce your Z offset by a little.

Disable Automatic print leveling if you're using it.

2 people like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Tony,

This can happen if the first layer is just a little too high (most likely) or there is under extrusion (less likely).

You could try lowering the initial Z offset (maybe start with 0.05 mm lower).

It is also possible to increase the extrusion percentage on the first layer in the slicer (try 105-110%)

Edit :Oops posted this at the same time as Mike

5 people like this.
  4. Tony Wissler

Tony Wissler New Member

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated.

I already have the auto print leveling disabled. Allowing the firmware to handle.

Follow up question for when you guys have a minute.
    I found where I can edit the Extrusion Width mm or % for the first level. And I will give that a try but first I would like to try the Z offset.

Could one of you please point me in the direction of where I would change this?

I have found a few places that seem like the possibilities:
    Slice Settings > Print > Layers/Perimeters > First Layer Height: currently at 0.3
    Slice Settings > Printer > General > Z offset: currently at 1

Thank you!

t

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

>Slice Settings > Print > Layers/Perimeters > First Layer Height: currently at 0.3<

This is not the offset (I am not an R1 user, but I think the other one is what you want)

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

It looks like your Z offset is in the right range.

But your first layer height of 0.3 mm appears to be a little too high. It does depend on your print layer height setting. But if you are printing at 0.2mm or less, then 0.3 is probably too high.

Slice Settings > Print > Layers/Perimeters > First Layer Height: currently at 0.3

I suggest reducing that first layer height to 0.2 and test.

7. Tony Wissler

Tony Wissler New Member

Thank you all.
    I will try it tonight and report back.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

First layer height is just defining how much material to extrude volumetrically and how high it should lift above the Z offset.

Z offset is the value you want to change. Try reducing that down. Some people have good luck at around 0.7.

Having a higher first layer height + reduced Z offset will put down more material on the first layer causing "Elephants feet" but can greatly improve layer adhesion.

9. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

My golden solution is to have the first layer height 0.1 higher than you print resolution, i.e. for a print layer resolution of 0.3 I have my first layer at 0.4. Then reduce your Z offset by 0.1 which will squash your first layer on. This should also keep the final height of your object correct.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well no it would be 0.1mm short. But for almost every print that's negligible.

11. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

You are correct. I was setting the first layer to the same height, 0.3 for 0.3 resolution, and thought I'd be smart by increasing the first layer by 0.1. But the slicer will use that in the total height calculation anyway. What a noob mistake lol.

12. Tony Wissler

Tony Wissler New Member

Thanks all for the help.
    Over the weekend I tried a bunch of different test prints.
    I seemed to get the best result by changing the following:
    Slice Settings > Print > Advance > Extrusion width: changing the value from "1" to "105%"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.