1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Help with oblong circles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Savan12986, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

I'm having problems with circles. I know they are always going to be slightly smaller in diameter than in the model due to a combination of factors, but whenever I print circles they end up oblong. They tend to be compressed along the y=-x axis. You can see that the infill is not connecting because it expects the perimeter to be out farther than it is. Any ideas what is causing this?
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0UR4sw1K9j9aC1zR1BvMS01cUk
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0UR4sw1K9j9cDFtUlNUY19IM2s
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0UR4sw1K9j9ajRqV0JoQVFZUUk

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Check the set screw on your y axis pulley. Also low polygon models can turn out like that.

3. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

Its doing that on every model I've tried with circles in it, This was just a test print to illustrate it and for some measurements. I'll check the screw and try it again

4. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

After you check those screws, if you are still having problems, try going a bit warmer and a bit slower. I have seen circles get deposited shy of their dimension from wrong temps and layer adhesion, too.

5. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

I'll try but it seems weird that it would be wrong on a diagonal axis if it was the temps or the speed

6. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are the set screws seated on the flat face of the drive shaft?

8. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I had to double check these and found the bolts were loose and the set screws holding that gear were loose.

Tale off the bed to get a better go at it.

It made a difference to me. And I using the stock Robo with MC and Repetier using the stock settings recommended in the FAQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  9. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

I'll check when I get back into work on monday. I had a brain fart when going to check the y pulley and checked the x pulley instead

10. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

This is a belt tension issue. The reason your infill is not connecting is due to backlash. When the head moves in one direction, stops, then reverses to go in the other direction, there is a little bit of slop in the belt that needs to be tightened back up before it actually starts moving again.
    The giveaway is the consistency. Tighten your belts so you have a nice twang to them and you should be in good shape!

11. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I was also told to tighten the belt before checking the bolts and set screws. I tightened it a lot and it made a slight difference. I then took the advise to check those screws and sure enough they were loose. And the set screws were also loose. Once tightened, I was told to go back to the original tightness. So I would advise checking the screws first before tightening the belt.

It's such an easy fix and it surely beats having to upgrade any parts. Stock Robo prints amazing prints. Just have to make sure all those screws are tight,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Truth, in a nutshell.

13. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.