1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hexagon Hotend higher temperature?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mike Dioguardo, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dioguardo

Mike Dioguardo New Member

I have the R1 with the Hexagon all metal hot end, so because its all metal and not a PEEK end, does this mean i can print higher then 235C?

If that be the case, how risky is editing/reflashing the Marlin firmware to increase the maximum extruder temperature? I believe I saw a few people on the forum who did just that and their printers never printed good since then. Would throwing an additional resistor in series with the thermistor work for increasing the hot end temperature without modding the firmware?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes

It is fairly simple.

Nope.

See the FAQ for details, but really it is :

1) download and extract the firmware
    2) edit the configuration.h for your changes (only file you need to touch)
    3) install Arduino IDE
    4) load the project into the IDE
    5) Select the programmer board type as Arduino Mega
    6) compile and upload to device.

3. Mike Dioguardo

Mike Dioguardo New Member

Might as well give it a try if their is no other way. Thank you very much for your help!

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure you get the correct firmware from @Mike Kelly (it is NOT what is posted here in the forum threads--I think he keeps in in dropbox).

Most people screwing up are simply loading the wrong firmware.
    Not so much the editing and loading...

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You should use an autolevel firmware if you have the Hexagon with autolevel printer. Let me know if you need help determining which firmware to use.

6. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Hexagon will go to 400C apparently. I have my max temp set to 340C in the firmware. It's easy to modify the configuration.h file and re flash the the firmware to the printer. Mike will help you get the right firmware to use.

If you want to add an LCD controller you'll need to modify the firmware too. Also tweaking some acceleration settings etc in the firmware can be of great benefit as well.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Does the thermistor table have values up to 340C? You should be careful with a temp that high.

8. Galaxius

Thermistor table? What max temp do you have yours set to?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I have mine set to 290. Once the thermistor reaches around 300C the resistance change per temp quickly drops off. Most thermistors can get by with this with a curve fit, but marlin firmware uses a lookup table. I'm not sure what the max value in their table is, but if your max temp is higher than their max temp it's unlikely to be accurate.

10. Galaxius

Thanks Mike, I'll amend my max temp and try find this lookup table so I can see what its max defined temp is.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want really hot, switch to a thermocouple. Those are good a lot hotter.
    They are a bit more accurate as well. They are cheap and the adapter board is too.

12. Galaxius

Thanks. I don't need it that hot, that's just the number I picked. I'm not printing with nylon or anything fancy, not yet anyway.

13. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Back to @Mike Dioguardo 's question for a second. As Mark and Galaxius said, the firmware is VERY easy to modify, and if you screw it up, you just redownload it and reflash it and you are good to go. I messed up some when messing with the firmware because I kept downloading the wrong one. I don't have the link on me, but it should be easy to find. It was recently posted in a thread named something like "how do you upgrade the firmware?" A search for "RoBo3DR1V2" should bring it up. That is the name of the firmware you want.

When you are modifying the firmware, search for (80, 80, 2200ish, some other number) and change the 2200ish to 2560. This will fix your z height. 80 was basically spot on for my x and y.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.