1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Home and Z Offset Settings and Questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Toro1966, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Hey guys - I learning a tremendous amount this printer due to the great folks on here but I still have a few questions and thought I post a specific thread about them. To start I have a new Robo3d R1+ running stock Firmware (ROBOR3dR1+V2). The only thiung I have changed at allis the E-step value to calibrate the extruder. My questions are.
    1 - Where is the home position? When I select home "all" it goes all the way down and to the left and front. So Z all the way down, X all the way to the left, and Y all the way forward (so the bed is all the way back). I would have thought it would go to the direct center. Is this normal? If not, what should I check.
    2 - What is the default z offset supposed to be? Mine is -.7. I know this because when I home all, it tells me Z is at -.7. Is this normal, does it vary, does it matter?
    3 - Z Offset. I need a Z-offset for dummies explanation. I have asked this question a couple of times and either I don't quite understand it, or MatterControl and this printer work differently. It has been explained to me that - values are above the board and poisitive values are below the board. So a negative z offset raises the print head off the bed while a positive z offset lowers the printhead. Additionally, the more negative - the higher the print head off the bed, and the more positive, the closer and lower the printhead gets.

Assuming that is correct, that is NOT how this printer is reacting. I am going to try a few tests just to check, but I am relatively certain, that the more negative value I put in, the lower it goes. Now this makes sense from a commons sense perspective, and it is also what is shown in the manual. Excerpt from the MatterHackers Manual
    below, but is not how it has been explained on here.

"The distance to move the nozzle along the Z axis to ensure that it is the correct distance from the print bed. A positive number will raise the nozzle, and a negative number will lower it."

I definitely appreciate all the support I have received. Any thoughts on the above issues/questions? Id di use the search feature and found several threads, none of which address this.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

1) home is X=0, Y=0, Z=0 and it is at the front.
    2) Whatever works for you. The default is 1.0 and that is just a starting point. You have to adjust to make it perfect for your printer. https://printedsolid.com/blogs/news/tagged/first-layer
    3) The behavior depends on how you are using the Z offset. The behavior you mention is when you are using the M565 command (in the startup GCode) if you do it any other way (like a setting in the slicer configuration) you need to research how that slicer does what it does.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Using M565 a -1.1 is further from the bed than -0.9

Most (or at least many) do not use MatterControl so their documentation is the best reference and their forum a good place to ask specifics.

https://forums.matterhackers.com

4. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Mark - Super fast response as always - you are truly an asset to this community. Some follow on questions based on your comments above:

You said the default Z offset is 1.0. If that is correct, why then wen I home does my screen show X:0.00, Y: 0.0, Z:-0.70? There is no 1.0 anywhere. Where would would I go to confirm what is actually entered for the default value of that offset?

Definitely understand your comments about the startup Gcode and M565 values. Do those values override anything else that is already stored in the software/slicer? In other words, if I change the startup M565 value, will the above numbers change when homing?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What screen?

The numbers will be relative to the last 'home' and this may not be the physical home.
    The slicer may be using : M306 - Set homeoffset
    In which case the calculated HOME is used rather than the physical.

Much of the behavior you are questioning is slicer/host program dependent.

There is a physical 'home' at X/Y/Z zero and this is determined by where those switches trigger.
    There is a calculated 'home' that the offsets apply to.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. if you use the M565 command in the startup GCode make sure the slicer is NOT adding any Z offset on top of that :)

I personally prefer the M565 (although more recent flavors of Marlin have deprecated it*) simply because I explicitly control this for each of the printers. A profile for each and I know that the correct offset is getting used for the printer.

*not the ones used by Robo, but the main branches.

7. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

I was speaking of the Matter Controls "Control Screen." When you home, it shows you the position of your extruder. In my case, at home, it shows 0,0,-.7. It consistently shows this so I assumed it was set somewhere. It might not be, as you mentioned, and rather it might be calculated by the system, but it is the same every time.

How do I make sure the slicer is not adding any offset ont op of the value I enter for the M565 comand? Where would I find that?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson and i both use simplify3d. Probably cant comment on how matter control does things...but if there is an option for z offset id assume anything in that box will work along with the added gcode. Matter control made no sense to me at all. I suggest trying out cura. Its free and makes a little more sense.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The M565 approach works on every slicer. The slicer parameters will vary from one to another which is why I prefer the explicit M565 way.

11. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks to both of you.
    Geof - I completely agree. I like the user interface of MatterControl, but it has issues. I'll be writing up a review of them later when I understand a little more.

Mark - thanks. Putting in zero for z offset when using the M565 command makes sense. Going to try it shortly. Any particular order the M565 command needs to be in the startup g code?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here is mine:

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-0.6 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level
    M117 Waiting for extruder to stabilize
    M109 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; tool 0 temp - set and wait
    M117 Working on Print

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The one command is there to allow you to clean the nozzle if needed

G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm

14. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Well I ran some test first layers to compare. This was using only the z offset setting in MC. It was NOT using the Z offset M565 command. Note that the one that is 0 offset is actually just finished it's second layer. The others are only 1 layer. Here is the pic:
    [​IMG]

Based on everything I've been reading, including the first layer article here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...t-layer-example-small.jpg?4263709265829532270

I think the correct offset here is -.1. It might actually be -.05. Looking at the samples above, the 0 offset has gaps in it. Additionally, the more negative the offset, the more pushed down the nozzle is and the less defined the numbers and letters are. See at -.8 how squished it is? Again, I realize that this is NOT what the M565 command supposedly does, but it is definitely the way MC handles those values based on these samples.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are going to use the slicer settings for this you are on the right path to determining what you need the value to be. The resolution is good down to 0.01 so feel free to experiment with what looks best :)

Geof likes this.
  16. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Mark. I know I've said it, but I couldn't have done it without you guys. I am looking forward to eventually doing what I can for others as well! I do plan on writing up a little MC for Dummies once I have this somewhat figured out.

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A MC guide for Robo users would be awesome.
    Yes, it has its limitations, but for a starter slicer it is not a bad choice if more people could sort out how to use it.

Eventually most people will outgrow it, but I always say do not spend the $$$ for something if the free ones work.

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.