1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hot End Troubles....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by menos50, Oct 25, 2014.

1. menos50

menos50 New Member

The Original hot end on my R1 left cold sprites on the print that would knock it out of register on a subsequent pass, at that time some were recommending the Geetech all metal J-head hot end with the cooling fan and all... ordered one ,( installing it required drilling out the feed tube in the body) and was using it with pla, and it almost immediately plugged up... found the trouble I thought to be that the fan switched off during home and zero function and during temperature ramp ups and downs which allowed the barrel to get too hot and foul, so after an intensive bout with tiny tools I got it cleaned out and decided I would try it with abs... same problem before the first print !!!

Does anyone have a really successful hot end they can trust? Also is there a connection point to allow the fan to run at all times when the printer is on?
    Thx in Advance
    menos50

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

2 people like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I use the older v5 E3D, but it is rock solid and I second the v6 as a good replacement for the J-head.

4. Bjorn

Bjorn Member

Yeah go for the new E3D v6, and when replacing it, go for the thermocouple instead of a thermistor..
    For the continues Fan power I used the old thermistor wires for the stock hotend (Not used anymore when using a thermocouple, (it has its own wires)), and connected it to one of the red and black wires of the power connector running from PSU to Ramps.

5. collin

collin New Member

bump for e3d v6 its a hell of a hot end. Pm if you need help installing it.

2 people like this.