1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hotend Not Heating (Replaced Nozzle, Plugged and Replugged)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Teacher Kelly, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Teacher Kelly

Teacher Kelly New Member

Update: I should have posted back in April when I first started trying to fix this thing. As soon as I posted, I noticed one more wire in the top back corner I somehow hadn't seen before. Unplugged, replugged and magically we're back in business. :)

Hello!
    I inherited this 3D printer to use in my classroom after our old media center person left our school. Things were going fine all last year until literally the last week of school. The printer jammed and the piece slid off the bed and it made a literal hot mess. Since then, the bed will heat, but the nozzle does not (I confirmed the temp reading is accurate and that it's not really heating but saying it's not heating.)
    I replaced the nozzle, made sure it was seated properly, etc. unplugged, and replugged every connector on and in the print head and on the main board.
    Are there any other possible end-user fixes for this thing? I know it's got to be crazy out of warranty, but it actually works pretty well compared to any other 3D printer I've ever used (you know, other than not heating and doing its #1 job at the moment).
    Any help is appreciated. We're a title I school and I was printing little things for my kids if they came for tutoring. It was a hit!

#1 Teacher Kelly, Sep 23, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@Geof is the E3D 'guy' :)
    But I would suspect that hotend is not heating the first suspect would be the heater core (which is should be IN the block of metal where the nozzle screws in). Those are easy to replace (relatively speaking) and cheap. If that is not the problem then the electronics board that drives the hotend is failing. These folks sell the Robo parts: https://www.partsbuilt.com/e3/

Having said that ... I am not familiar with the Voxel hotend they used so I am not certain that you can replace just the heater core -- you may have to replace the entire hotend (but they have those as well). I looked over the partsbuilt.com list of parts for the E3 and did not see a heater core listed (but maybe I missed it).

One of us (most likely @Geof ) can assist you with the swap if you need help.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The E3 nozzle is heater, thermistor and hotend all together. You should try a new hotend. It’s the same as the flash forge adventurer 3. Can be had on Amazon relatively cheap last I checked. I gave away my E3 but with some photos can help with how to, or YouTube will get you there. It’s the same on the adventurer 3 (it’s the same machine)

mark tomlinson likes this.