1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hotter bed temps = better print adhesion, right?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Ozzie Alarcon, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

I was all happy when I installed my PEI surface on my 3D R1 and everything was going great. I then tried to print a file from thingiverse that was a heart shaped cookie cutter for my wife. The cutter has a thin boarder. So when I try to print it, the print gets about half way through then it gets ripped off when the hotend has to go over certain areas twice. I usually use 50C bed temps and I'm wondering if hotter temps would help with better adhesion.

I've printed other things on my PEI surface with great success. This tells me it has to be the thin walls of the cookie cutter that's not allowing it to adhere good making it get ripped off by the hotend.

what do you guys think? suggestions?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not necessarily.
    Depends on filament type, but for ABS (and to some extent PLA) a hotter bed does help the first layer stick well. (lots of folks depend on the bed heat to raise the overall print area temp and help stabilize warp with ABS as well)

Can you go for a brim?
    I imagine a raft might not be workable, but if it would that is a good way to solve it.

If not a full-on brim, how about some 'mouse ears'* at selective points to increase adhesion. If they are only a layer thick then they are easy to cut off.

*add circles to the print, remember whatever you stack on the first layer will be merged for printing.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

1. A Raft is a horizontal latticework of filament that is located underneath your part. Rafts are primarily used with ABS to help with bed adhesion.Rafts are also used to help stabilize models with small footprints, or to create a strong foundation on which to build the upper layers of your part.
      Rafts, Skirts and Brims! | Simplify3D
      https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tutorials/rafts-skirts-and-brims/

Not Simplify specific BTW. They just have a good explanation

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I tend to do the first layer hotter, like 70C for PLA. Then drop it off to like 40-50C for later layers. Once you get the bond as long as you don't cool off it stays pretty strong.

Usually first layer bond strength has to do with how low to the bed it is.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

THIS.

It is the real key to how well the first layer sticks.

6. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

okay, so does this mean I need to adjust my Z offset to get the first layer to go as low as possible?

Not sure what you mean there...

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Not necessarily. It just needs to be a good first layer

For ABS I tend to press the layer in a bit more than PLA to get better adhesion. The downside is you get some elephants feet from the process.

Check out this info on first layer: printedsolid.com/firstlayer