1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How about listening to problems customers have with their printers?

Discussion in 'Requests and Suggestions' started by Dime333, Feb 21, 2014.

1. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Once the z axis homing is working you will not need to touch it after doing Autopsyturvy's tweaking of the threaded rods during a print. I find the the z limit screw paper-thin height rule of thumb is not sufficent and I need to tweak the rods during the skirt or brim phase at least once after changing the z. Good luck with it!

2. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

One thing I had to do is to manually adjust the z height once it starts printing. I watch for a flat skit rather than a rounded filament on the bed. If it's round, I lower the z till it is flatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I'll add that if the skirt or brim is too flat plastic will start to build up in globs. Then you just rotate the rods clockwise up a tiny bit, say 1/16th turn at a time, until it stops globbing.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Also be sure you give your end stop screw a slight adjustment whenever you adjust the z rods. It takes a few tries but every time you do that you'll dial it in more and more. Eventually you shouldn't need to adjust anything if you're doing it this way

5. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Ok I tried the above method and it sure does help, at the same time I also think I found the culprit other than the bed being raised in the left corner.

My Z axis screw itself is not flat on the bottom there is almost a notch taken out of it like it was cut or something or maybe not made correctly at the factory, whatever the reason it wasn't making contact on the switch evenly therefore it would trip it sometimes and other times not hit it at all, in fact I would manually push the switch with my screwdriver to get it to stop going down after it had already thrown the nuts of course and the screw was resting on the switch too. So if anyone else is having that issue this might help them to take a look at that screw. Granted after replacing the screw I have only printed one thing so not sure if it is "fixed" or not just yet.

2 people like this.
  6. arrg

arrg New Member

Dime
    My z axis stop was not aligned with the switch when I unpacked my machine. The nuts crawled out of the housing and created a real pain. After getting things back together, I found that leveling the axis to the bed required several trips back and forth to tweak the lead screws. After that is done, use the stop screw to set your extruder to bed distance and leave the lead screws alone. If you start out high (no pun intended) and work your way down to the distance you want ,it will go pretty well. After each adjustment, jog the z axis up and re-home it to get the actual position it will home to. It is time consuming but once you are done you will not have to mess with it unless you change material.
    Good luck.