1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How can I adjust bed level along y axis?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Voyager1, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Hi guys - just received my Robo3D and have been playing with it today. I've noticed that the bed seems to slope down to the front (along the y axis) and would like to adjust that. Anyone know how? I think that is the reason why my prints are coming out looking 'twisted'?? X axis appears level...
    Any suggestions/help appreciated :)

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

2 people like this.
  3. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I'm in Australia. Is there no adjustment already built into the printer? Problem is I can't print accurately until the bed is level. At the moment, prints are coming out looking "twisted" up the z axis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

can you share a picture?

5. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

[​IMG]
    This is a print I tried yesterday and killed part way thru. Printed the 5mm calibration block first and it looked fine though...?

6. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Heres an easy way to make it quickly and easily adjustable...
    Remove nut under standoff, replace with rubber oring and metal washer. Now the oring acts like a spring but is very solid and doesnt wobble.
    Tighten to lower it....

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  7. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Ok Racegrafix I can give that a try. Not sure whether it will give me enough adjustment tho. It's out by a few mm front of bed to back

8. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

What I did was left from stock and just did the rear, and fine tune it from there. You could always add another washer, those are typically 1mm.

It may not be the best method, but its a 5 minute fix that's very easy. Bed is still as solid as ever, and super fine adjustments are easily done as well as bigger adjustments.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I just used stiffer springs with tesseract's bed levelers. I mm able to tune it within a mm (actually within a few 100's of microns) across the bed.

10. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Ok I'll head off to Bunnings (local big shed hardware) and get supplies to give it a try. Will report back...
    As a newbie I'm interested to hear opinions on my diagnosis that this issue is the cause of my "twisted" prints...?

11. scotta

scotta Active Member

If i understand what you are trying to print, from the photo the gears are meant to be twisted. I would view the stl and confirm if it is designed that way

12. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

OMG! How embarrassing! Would help if I looked closer at the STL - d'oh!! Thanks scotta you are correct that the gears are meant to be twisted. Still think I should make sure the bed is closer to level across the y though...

13. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Hi all - thanks so much to all who responded to my post. My Robo is now printing beautiful PLA parts for me. I followed Racegrafix suggestion as I had some washers & o-rings etc handy. Worked well - so thanks again. Now to try ABS.......;)

14. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Awesome man, glad it helped out. Its nice when something so simple works.

15. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Hey guys - I'm baaaaacccckkkk! Seems my bed is unlevel again?? Going to try the bed levellers this time as I printed them off when the printer was going fine. Just wondering if anyone can help me with a description of the bed screw. Mine are not long enough for the bed levellers, so will need to get some new ones, I'm just not sure what to look for (i.e.. diameter of the screw is...?)

16. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Check the flatness of the bed. I went around and around till i figured out the bed was not flat. Tightening the belt below it will help true it up.

17. cosber

cosber Active Member

How "violently" do you remove the printed piece from the bed? I made the mistake of getting everything perfect level, did a few very nice prints, then, in a fit of impatience, tried to pry off a piece that was stuck hard to the bed. I am sure I pushed the rails out of alignment with the pressure and lost my level. I am going to try the vinyl suggestion which would allow me to pull off the whole print rather than wait 30+minutes for the bed to cool enough to pop off the piece.

18. algares

algares New Member

Can someone post specs info on the screws, nuts and washers. I will try to get them online. Thanks!

19. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Mcmaster part #
    91166A210 - washers
    9262K161 - orings

use the nut without the nylon insert that's on your bed now, and the same screw. You could always add another nut on top to lock it in place, but there is enough tension on mine that it doesn't back off. And of course still use plastic washer on top of glass.

those orings will work, not sure if its same exact same height. If you need more height just add one more washer, don't think you will need to though.

2 people like this.
  20. algares

algares New Member

Thanks a lot Racegrafix!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.