1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How do I clear my filament jam?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Erica Lindström, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erica Lindström

Erica Lindström New Member

In the picture you can see how I have pushed the new yellow filament through the cold end and there seems to be no jam there. In the extruder though, you can see a bit of the old green filament, that is causing a jam. I can't use the filament loading wizard due to this blockage. How do I remove that filament in the extruder?

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You disassemble it :) Some of which needs to be done hot.
    If it had not broken off short of the cold section you could pull it out with it hot, but that is going to require a tear down.

Essentially:
    1) At ABS temp loosen the nozzle from the heater block (two wrenches needed, one for the nozzle and one to hold the heater block). Let it cool back done once the nozzle is loose.
    2) then you can remove the heat break (skinny section) from the heater block.
    3) remove the heater core to remove all wiring from the extruder.
    4) bake out all of the stuck filament in an oven (450f) with the bits in a pan
    5) reassemble.

3. Erica Lindström

Erica Lindström New Member

Thank you. Fixed it in a easyer way, but your reply gave me some hints on how to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.