1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved How do you get ROBO 3D R1 Plus to print 50 microns

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Zach McRae, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Zach McRae

Zach McRae New Member

So I was on the user @tesseract profile and I read that he had gotten his printer to print all the way down to 10 microns. I have searched the forums for a clear answer on what upgrades he used but all I got is a heaping pile of nothing. Now I will have you know I have only had my printer for about a month and a half so im pretty new to 3D printing. So please if you can dumb down your answer. :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is because he had none. In fact, he did all of that with ... a beta. Not even an R1 or an R1+.

Crappier rails, no auto leveling and the crappy Z rods.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What he did was manually level the hell out of it :)
    And tune the temperatures and speeds to work at those resolutions.

(and patience... he must have had a lot)

4. Pergo

Pergo Member

I really can't think of anything that would need that kind of tolerance. Especially with all the "holders" and other silly items that people make with their printers.. Even the items that I made are not so complex either but I'm trying. http://www.thingiverse.com/Pergo/designs
    . I get really excited when I find something that really different..

Check out this thing.. This dude did some real work here!
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1249221

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In his tests it was really all about printing very small items at higher resolutions.
    I am certain there was little practical application for it (@tesseract correct me if I am wrong).
    It was more the Gee-Whiz factor I do believe. You know, the "how low can I go" :)

6. Zach McRae

Zach McRae New Member

Thanks man for the amazing feedback! This is why I love the Robo, its customer support is only topped by its amazing forum and its community.

7. Pergo

Pergo Member

Oh ya.. the Robo3D (how low can you go)"Lowrider".

Zach McRae likes this.
  8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

To answer your question on how to print at 50 microns the simple answer is change the layer height to be .05mm

The more detailed is that fine layer heights are difficult. You need to print a bit slower and use a lot of top fill layers. I generally say 1mm is a good top layer thickness, but the finer the layer height the more top fill is needed, so 1.5-2mm (30-40 layers at .05mm). You can experiment with less though.

Just be aware that 50micron prints take forever because layer thickness is directly proportional to print time. A 50 micron print will take twice as long as a 100micron. Longer perhaps because of the need to print slower.

It's also worth noting that the finer the layer height the weaker the print is because of more chances of poor layer bonding.

Only use it for small miniatures with fine detail.

mark tomlinson likes this.