1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How does one lubricate parts?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rick Collins, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

So i have my shiny new printer and after repairing the "interesting" assembly job i really need to lubricate the Z axis rods; they scream like a dying pig when the head lowers.

My question to all is how do we lubricate this part and others.... and what should we use to lubricate?

Cheers in advance

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

white lithium grease laid down in a line and then wiped around the rod should work nicely the nut will spread it around gradually

3. Deadwood

Deadwood Active Member

I used copper grease as it was all I had , seems ok so far plus as I am thinking of making an enclosure copper grease may deal with the heat better

4. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

I personally use T9 made by Boeing through their Boeshield group. It was designed for Aerospace. I needed it originally to remove a part that had rusted and bonded to another. It was pretty darn amazing.

They make a version for bicycles which you can push a needle through the tip so that it can be applied drop by drop. Stuff isn't cheap but a little goes a long way and lasts a long time.

Here it is on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-Corrosion-Protection-Waterproof-Lubrication/dp/B000GE1F9K/

Because it can be applied drop by drop you can just use a few drops and then run the Z axis motor up and down to distribute it.

(btw, I've used T9 now for years and it's still one of my favorite lubricants)

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

6. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

7. jdumbaugh

jdumbaugh Member

What about machine oil? Like you use on an electric razor or sewing machine?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That would probably work as well. I've noticed my synthetic grease has acquired quite a bit of grime but still doesn't make noise.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

For gear drives like this the light grease is probably preferable to a light oil.
    I don't think either will be bad, one just might last a bit longer than the other...

(like tesseract I am using the white lithium grease)

10. jdumbaugh

jdumbaugh Member

I gave the machine oil a go, and it fixed the whining noise for now. I'll probably run to Home Depot / Lowes later and switch out for the white lithium grease. At least my ears can stop bleeding for the time being. Thanks guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.