1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to attach the new extruder shroud?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by ChrisRK, Sep 9, 2014.

1. ChrisRK

ChrisRK Member

Hi guys!

Has anyone printed out the extruder shroud the RoBo team published on thingiverse yet?

I can't get it to fit over the X endstop screw on my printer.

[​IMG]

Is there a trick to do it? I would remove the screw but I won't be able to fit a screwdriver under the shroud when it's attached.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What if you start from over the screw?

3. ChrisRK

ChrisRK Member

I have tried every possible angle and direction with no luck. :( I have tried to bend and push the PLA to it's limit as well and I just can't get it on.

4. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

With the hole on the opposite side, I would think you could access the screw for adjustments... kind of... why not just cut away the parts that are in the way?

#4 1d1, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
  5. ChrisRK

ChrisRK Member

The hole on the other side is to attach the shroud to the X carraige. It's impossible to get a screwdriver on the inside.
    You do have a good point there. I'll just cut off the side as you won't really see it anyway. I'll post pics when I got it attached!

6. ChrisRK

ChrisRK Member

And here it is! Sadly the cable holder I have doesn't fit so I'll have to find some other way to secure it to the extruder.

[​IMG]

I had to cut away quite a bit of the side to make it fit over the screw and nut but you can't see it at all from the front. :)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. John Durr

John Durr Member

Hi

Is that the X endstop screw that came with your printer.
    Mine is so short it does not touch the switch.

Tried to add photo keep getting server error.

Should the screw touch the switch when it reaches the left side. I do not know if it even has, and it makes that noise when it goes to the left like it has more to go but it does not.

8. ChrisRK

ChrisRK Member

Hi John! No, that's not the screw that came with the printer. I replaced the stock one with a 25mm screw as the one that came with the printer was too short for some of the previous attachments I had on the printer. If the stepper motor starts grinding on the belt you should stop the printer immediately as you may damage the belt or motor after a while.