1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to level my heated print bed?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lasse Knudsen, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lasse Knudsen

Lasse Knudsen Member

Greetings,

i seem to have the problem where the one end of the bed is lower than the other, Y axis i think, if you look at the picture, the lower end of the picture the extruded plastic is nearly round, and on the other end its very flat.[​IMG]

Is it even possible to level the printbed, the only thing i have seen that can be leveled is the extruder.

-lasse
    As i side note if i had bought this device locally in Denmark, i would have returned it, is simply too much hassle, i knew that there would be problems, and that is ok, now this bed that is not level is just another nail in the coffin.

Attached Files:

2. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Lasse, take a look at this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:125626

This is the bed leveler that tesseract created. Since your Y is not level, print in an area where you think the Y is most level when you print this. You'll also need some springs. This lets the bed float and can be adjusted by adjusting the tension on the bolts.

3. Lasse Knudsen

Lasse Knudsen Member

Thank you Melody,

this replaces the 4 bolts with nylon standoffs in the sliding rails correct?

-lasse

4. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Yes, I believe so. Tesseract can better explain how they work since he made them. I haven't printed them since my bed seems like it doesn't need them though I've thought of doing the mod once my printer is up and running again.

5. Lasse Knudsen

Lasse Knudsen Member

That being said, its somewhat dissapointing to buy something and then have to print parts for it to make it work properly :)

-lasse

6. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

One thing you have to remember is that 3D printing is still really in it's early years. We're not to the click-n-print stage yet. :) Plus there are always revisions and changes and the community itself finds better ways to do something. Nothing like Crowdsourcing :)

2 people like this.
  7. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Just a side question, how is it possible for anyone to print in space? How would astronauts level their print bed? Which way is up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

all the existing hardware is used, Lasse. I recommend getting some metal washers that fit into the plastic pieces though, as the springs are VERY strong and could bite into them (unlikely, but it's good practice). You will also need a dial indicator and one of the printed out dial indicator holders.

9. Lasse Knudsen

Lasse Knudsen Member

Melody,
    I did realize that i had to tinker with the printer, to make the prints perfect, but what i have seen so far is a disaster, for a commercial product. I have manged to print 1 thing, and that was rampant with "stringieness", things not sticking to the bed, if i drive the z axis up, the treaded rods look like they are spinning out of control, and quite often if im at 15cm it will unalign so that one of the hex nuts will come loose. I have to modify it to level it?
    But anyway, i have contacted Robo3d for refund policy, i cant really live with the way this performs.

-lasse

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Best move if you are not hobbyist level :) All 3D printers (home variety at least) require a good bit of tinkering and knowledge of the way they work to get good prints done. Early days for the tech.

Makerbot is not a lot less fitful by any stretch and costs a lot more. Give it a couple of years to mature and this will be consumer ready rather than hobbyist ready.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah my friend has spent well in excess of $500 on upgrades on their Makerbot Replicator 2. Every printer, especially now, has tons of issues, and if you can't deal with them then you're not ready for 3d printing.

13. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I've seen automatic levers. Just wondering if it's possible to modify Robo3d printer to utilize such a mod? What would it take to have auto-levelling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Marlin has autoleveling build in. You'd just need the sensor

15. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

brass or copper shim/plate is fairly cheap. The best idea I could come up was to some how lay that down across the bed, and then use the nozzle (which is brass) to touch/short out. then you'd know exactly where z-zero is. I think I saw a video of one of the machines doing that method.

How to program/wire for it. I don't know. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.