1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered How to print with an SD card without the computer?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adam tonn, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam tonn

adam tonn New Member

Just got my ROBO R1 2 days ago. This is my first 3d printer and am just learning the ins and outs of it. I have it printing and so far the quality is great. It seems to work great right out of the box. I'm just trying to figure out a few things and hope someone might be able to help.

1) How to print with an SD card without the computer?
    I know this sound like a stupid ? but how does this work? Do you just load your drawing on the card, then it saves all of the settings and starts printing when you plug it in?

2) How to switch filament colors mid print?
    I'm just wondering about this one. I did not see a slice setting for this. Do you have to do this in the Gcode?
    Or do you have to manually pause the print and raise the z axis change the filament and lower z and then
    continue the print?

3) How to print a to scaled drawing
    I'm drawing in Google SU make 2015 with the 3D inches template. I am having a issue with prints not coming out the same size I drew them. I'm drawing in inches. When I add the drawing to the matter control program my drawing is very tiny. But it should be 2"wide x 1/2 tall so I scale the drawing ( inches to mm ) but when it prints its still not the correct size. It prints smaller by more than a 1/4 ".

Thanks in advance for any help I might get.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

#1 - You need an LCD controller for the first one. I can do it with Simplify by loading the print on the card and then telling simplify to start the print from the card (at which point I can unplug the PC). If you totally want to not have the PC involved you need a controller.

#2 - you can put the pause in the GCode or manually pause it (from the software or via an LCD controller) and then do the swap and resume. Either way there is manual effort involved in repositioning the Z and feeding the new filament.

#3 - not sure. Everything I have done was metric and scaling (re-sizing) worked... I used SolidWorks.

3 people like this.
  3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1) Here's how to do it in mattercontrol: http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Export_to_SD You still need a PC to start the print, otherwise an LCD is required if you don't want a printer anywhere near a computer.

3) There's a scaling feature inside the slicer/ To go from mm to inches mulitply it by 25.4

2 people like this.
  4. adam tonn

adam tonn New Member

Thanks Mark and Mike. #3 was my fault. I figured out my mistake after I posted this last night. # 2 I will have to mess with it a bit. I think if I just pause the print then raise Z 10 mm. Then swap my filament and clean it out then lower Z 10mm and resume my print I should be good.
    #1 Thanks Mike for the link I should be able to figure it out from there.

One more ? how do I change the unresolved text to resolved? lol

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

In Stetchup just use the 3D printer mm template and you will be all set. Remember that the STL files do not maintain any dimension. So you need to assume the same dimension in both the design program and the host/slicer program. The default for Repetier is mm. Probably for MatterControl also.

2 people like this.
  7. adam tonn

adam tonn New Member

Thanks Steve and Mark I appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.