1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to update firmware? Where to get it?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rob Stachowicz, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Good to know! Thanks for the tip.

2. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

I'm running RoBo3DR1AUTOV4. I'm surprised this isn't available anywhere. I would like to make modifications to support the Full Graphics LCD, but I'm afraid to make a change that degrades performance that I can't undo.

I guess I'll open a support ticket...

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

version 4 is older than R1v2

There's literally 1 value changed between the two. Don't put so much clout on firmware, they're all more or less the same.

4. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

I just found this from a couple weeks ago: http://help.robo3dprinter.com/Answers/View/260/What+is+the+latest+Firmware

I downloaded the one for "R1 with Auto Level 5/16 threaded rods (indicated by no white plastic cover under neath printer)" which is in a file "Auto_Level_7_17.zip" and contains a folder named "Auto_Level_7_17_516inch." The following appears in Configuration.h:

#define CUSTOM_MENDEL_NAME "RoBo3DR1AUTOV4" //robo

How would one determine if one's older than another?

I don't understand why it's so difficult to simply make and maintain a downloads page that lists the latest firmware for each model.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I know right? I don't get them sometimes. It's a nightmare for me too.

I mean the best way to see what's different between firmwares is to use a comparison software like diffmerge. Makes it really easy to see what's different.

I tried teaching Coby how to use Github for hosting the firmware, but I'm too inexperienced in it to be more than the blind leading the blind.

2 people like this.
  6. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

Good tip on diffmerge; I've been meaning to look into something like that.

Github seems like an obvious place; in fact, I searched for that before posting :) I figure the simplest solution would be to put a "Downloads" menu on the Support drop-down on the main page that includes MatterControl and the various firmware versions.

It's crazy to me that you have to dig through both a user forum and a tech support site and compare dates of posts with file names, zip file content and config files to get even a hint of what you're using. Further, it's based on characteristics of the unit, not a serial number range or an obvious model version (easily fixed with a sticker).

7. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Every time I go to print something new, I have to set the EEProm again. Is this normal? Do I have to change it in the Configuration.h and reflash in order for them to stick?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Probably. You have M8 rods? You can use this firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7aanqlum3ag52i/Robo3dR1V2_M8.zip?dl=0

9. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Fair enough. Thanks for the link. I just went ahead and modified it myself last night. Pretty easy to do.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.