1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to update firmware? Where to get it?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rob Stachowicz, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Stachowicz

Rob Stachowicz New Member

Okay.. I did try to search.

According to mattercontrol... I am running RoBo3DR1AUTOV1 firmware. I've read that this is not current. How the heck do I get the latest and install it?

Thanks and thanks!

- R

2. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I've been trying to figure this out, too. The highest version I've heard of is RoBo3DR1AUTOV5, but I can't find it anywhere. The highest version most have is AUTOV4. I was originally on AUTOV1 as well, but managed to upgrade to AUTOV3. Still can't get it to upgrade to AUTOV4/5. To get it to AUTOV3, I did the following. Open MatterControl, edit your printer so the model is RoBo3DR1AUTOV3 and save it. Quit MatterControl, unplug and restart your printer. Plug everything back in and open MatterControl again. Connect your printer, where it says "Connect your printer to check for firmware updates", it should give you an option to upgrade.

[​IMG]

If anyone has any idea how to upgrade to V4/5, please let us know. I tried changing the Printer Model to V4/5 in hopes that that would work, but it didn't.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@Mike Kelly has the firmware staged somewhere (dropbox IIRC) and can point you to that for manually updating.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

There's VERYYYYY little difference between all the firmware revisions. The v5 you've heard about is for non-auto-level (aka beta) printers.

The latest version of the firmware I have is actually called Robo3DR1v2 The biggest change between this one and the previous firmware is they reduced the max bed temp for safety reasons. I think this one also enabled EEprom editings so it's easier to change these limits.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

sweet. Is that here on the forum?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Uh not to my knowledge. I usually suggest people with beta printers use the Autolevel_Series_6_10 because it has the temp fall warning system in place.

#6 Mike Kelly, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and that will work fine on the non-autolevel beta?
    I think the consensus answer was 'yes', but like to sanity check that.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

yeah the autolevel stuff is just in there but doesn't do anything unless you call the G29. Technically it's been in all the firmwares this is just the one they configured

2 people like this.
  9. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Awesome, thanks for the updates guys. I plan on updating to the Autolevel_Series_6_10 tonight.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thanks Mike.
    I intend to put your auto-level conversion in-place eventually (sooner now than later) so hopefully that will be a moot point soon.

11. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Is the Autolevel_Series_6_10 firmware RoBo3DR1AUTOV3? I flashed the firmware using the instructions I found here, but the firmware listed in MatterControl still says RoBo3DR1AUTOV3.

12. Rob Stachowicz

Oh crap - I followed some Google Docs and "updated" my R1 to V5 .. so, that's not good. So... where to get the correct firmware for R1 with auto-level? Is the above link correct? This really isn't managed properly by Robo-3D.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

In a sense it is. The major difference is it has Z_Endstop_Inversion set to False like all beta printers. Autolevel printers have it set to true. If you run autolevel you should not use this firmware as it'll just cause your Z axis to raise during homes.

Nope! but I try. I embedded the links previously

2 people like this.
  14. Rob Stachowicz

Thanks Mike! You sure do! Gonna' go get it done right now...

15. Rob Stachowicz

Okay ... I reflashed, now I have ROBO3DR1V2 ... is this good Mike?

Thanks again!

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

17. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

So for some reason whenever I upgrade my firmware, it seems to cause more problems than it solves. Haha. I was able to print pretty quality stuff on RoBo3DR1AUTOV1, then I upgraded to RoBo3DAUTOV3 and ran into all sorts of little various problems. Today I flashed AutoLevel_Series_6_10 and for some reason the RoBo 3D won't auto home on the Z Axis. When I try to level it on the Z-Axis, it starts moving up about a cm, then it stops and moves up another smidge, like it just hit the bed.

To see if I could figure anything out, I held the extruder higher than the auto level switches and was manually pressing the buttons. Under normal circumstances, it raises to ensure both the buttons are being pressed, goes down until one of them lets up, then moves up a smidge. Right now, if both buttons are being pressed (1/1) , it moves up, then moves up a smidge. If any other combination of buttons are being pressed (1/0, 0/1, 0/0), it continuously moves downwards until both the buttons are pressed. Seeing as how it can register when both button are/aren't pressed, I feel like it's not a hardware issue, but more of some sort of issue with the AutoLevel_Series_6_10 firmware I installed earlier.

EDIT: Oh god, I feel like an idiot. No wonder I'm having issues. I was re-reading some of the stuff said earlier and I was thinking everyone in this thread had an autoleveling 3D printer. I have an R1 and didn't realize that the AutoLevel_Series_6_10 was for non-auto-leveling 3D printers.

EDIT 2: Just upgraded to the Robo3dR1V2 firmware, and am VERY happy with the results so far. My only complaint about my current print (fan shroud) is that I forgot to change support type to lines instead of grid, but it looks like the RoBo 3D's feeling pretty ballsy and isn't really printing any support material... Let's see how this pays off...

#17 bamhm182, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Glad you got it figured out. Should have been more clear in my text that I was responding to Mark. I edited it.

19. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Same here, thanks for all the help.

The lack of support didn't pay off at all. It just started printing in the air. >_< The bottom layers and the layers that didn't need support material turned out great though. Even better than with the original firmware. The only other problem I'm having is that it's coming out short on the Z-Axis for some reason. Oh well, time to go research those. :)

EDIT: Also, to be noted, in other firmwares, I would have to calibrate the autolevel using the autolevel utility in MaterialControl, then disable it in order to get it to print right. If I forgot to disable it, it would start off fine, then slowly start to raise the right higher and higher until the left was still good, but the right was starting to print in the air.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you have a printer with a bottom cover then you need to change the eeprom steps per mm for the z to be 2560

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.