1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

HP and MS touting a new 3D printing file format

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mark tomlinson, Apr 25, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

As a service bureau and training consultant, it sure would be nice to have a file format that does what they say.

"The file format must contain a complete definition of the printed model, in a way that allows unambiguous and accurate processing of the model. Finally, the file format must be practical, simple to understand and easy to implement."

When I hear Microsoft doing things with 3D printing, I always think of the awesomeness that Emmett brings on Thingiverse and hope that he is heavily involved.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Virgil

Virgil New Member

Sadly, nothing about who might control such a format. Sounds to me like another MS attempt at vendor lock in. Which suggests this 'newer, better' format will require proprietary hardware and software. Adding '3D printing' to 8.1 didn't really shake up the industry. They almost seem desperate to shoehorn Windows 10 into anything they can. 3D printing, Arduino, Raspberry Pi...

I'm not suggesting .stl should or could not be replaced. Just questioning if these are the people the community wants doing it.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just an FYI, Microsoft, no matter what anyone personally feels about them is a large contributor to open source. I for one am looking forward to what they do with a new format for 3D printing. A revamp of the file format is long overdue. It will likely be controlled by a consortium of some kind. Take a look at some of the Open Source projects Microsoft is working on here http://www.microsoft.com/opensource/directory.aspx.

5. JimBlue

JimBlue Member

As a retired computer tech, I have had to deal with MS' 'ideas'. Ah well. Hopefully they will do a good job.

6. Virgil

Virgil New Member

Good for them. Its about time. Not that long ago the notion of 'free as in speech' was completely alien to them. And as I noted, I'm all for improving or replacing .stl. But I'll be guided by my experience - and history - and question the motivation behind the 'kinder, gentler Microsoft', thanks. And I'll note that from the article linked by the OP, MS is pushing this in the interest of integration in and development of 3D printing infrastructure for Windows 10 - a closed source operating system. I guess their dedication to open source only goes so far :)

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Virgil, I appreciate your skepticism but you bias is showing (understandably so).

@everyone
    A few things in play here, there is a definite need to commoditize 3D printing. It cannot and will not be anything more than a novelty if it doesn't become Plug & Play and a mainstream consumer product. Gartner predicts the 3D printer market will be $13.4B by 2018, it won't get there if only enterprises, media companies and makers are the only ones using it. I am sure Robo is counting on commoditization, they want a big piece of that $13.4B pie! The fastest way for 3D printing to achieve critical mass is by companies like HP, Autodesk, Microsoft among others to integrate this technology into desktop applications, peripherals and operating environments.

Windows alone is over a $4B product for Microsoft, going Open Source will cannibalize some of that money. Tell me a single company that will throw away, what could be, significant portions of their revenue just to please a few of us advocates.

The current reality of open source is not the Utopian society the ideal promised us. Yes you can fork various projects and make changes for yourself and your buddies, but try to mainstream those changes and see just how controlled the environment is. I am not speaking about bad code, any enhancement has to be 'approved' by the one/core that controls the main code. I know this as a fact from documentation writing. Programmers hate documentation (I know this is a simplistic stereotype, but more true than false). I have had complete sections of documentation stripped of much content because the 'owners' felt the end user should know how the code works on their own or they wanted to have the end user believe that things auto-magically happen. How is that really any different than a closed system, when only code writers know what the code does? Difference is Satya Nadella signs one group of code writers paychecks.

The 3MF Consortium is not just Microsoft and HP, so let's put this half truth to rest. It initially includes Autodesk, Dassault Systemes, netfabb, Shapeways, SLM Solutions as well as the big two. The standard will be open and royalty free. Just take a quick look at their GitHub repository and see that netfabb is the main contributor. To use a headline that says Microsoft and HP come up with a new file format, whether intentional or not, is specifically done to bias the reader and short changes the contribution of others.

Sorry for the long post, I am not a Microsoft fanboy, nor HP for that matter, but I can't see how this is bad for 3D printing no matter what the motives of the individual players are.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Virgil

Virgil New Member

1 - I never claimed not to be biased. Anyone who does is being less than truthful.
    2 - I never claimed open source was a Utopia. Nor am I on a crusade against proprietary software. When its worth it I gladly pay for it. You, on the other hand have an obvious bias against open source :)
    3 - I consistently stated I agree with the overall idea. I only pointed out my distrust of Micrsoft's involvement - again, based on experience.
    4 - You certainly sound like a fan boy :) Seriously, though - I will use .net as an example. It was to be as you have described this - a standard created by many of which MS was only one. Yet when it was implemented MS failed to stick to the standard. They went their own way because at the time they had the clout to do so. As a result they controlled the progress of .net in a way that benefited only them. .net was originally meant to be cross platform and MS did everything it could to prevent that. And while they have recently opened .net, it was not because they are great members of the open source community. They did it because they saw it as a good business decision at this time. I have no problem with *any* company making sound business decisions, even MS. But in their case the decisions have often been to the detriment of even their customers. Of which I am one, although not necessarily by choice in every circumstance.

And one last thing - this feels as if its getting a bit off topic and turning into an open source vs MS debate. Maybe another thread needs to be started if we want to continue.

#8 Virgil, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Virgil only the very first line of my response was directed to you, hence the @everyone. The rest was general commentary about the state of affairs in 3D printing with regard to the original post. It has to move beyond "community" if there is truly a chance to become mainstream. Easiest way to accomplish that is put it in the hands of the biggest players. There will always be differing opinions on who should control what, but some control is always required. What difference does it make if it is 3MF or some other single group.

#9 WheresWaldo, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  10. Virgil

Virgil New Member

Yes, I know only the first comment was directed at me, but that does not preclude my commenting on the other remarks.
    I agree if a standard is to be a standard it must have some form of governing body. I do not agree that only one organization should have total control over input to a standard. I also do not consider MS or HP to be major players in the 3D printing area. I can think of nothing significant they have done to this point to further the art. Just curious - and I really do not know - are the folks at reprap involved in this?

Love your avatar, BTW.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As far as I know, only the companies mentioned in my comment are currently included. Also note my comment about the github repository.

I started the series with FO3, but it is one of my favorites, also enjoyed all the ME and FC games.

Had to reply from my Android phone (talk about fragmentation and the wild wild west) since my PC thought it would be a good time to update to W10 build 10122.

12. JimBlue

JimBlue Member

I would hope there would be a better implementer of a global format than MS.

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They can do a decent job of this if they try and really want to.
    They probably will...seems like someone got smart...windows 10 has all the right moves (runs on embedded hardware, cheap/free for makers). We will see. Just letting Linux 'have'/own the embedded market would have been ... short-sighted (if not terminally stupid).