1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hyena V2 hobbed bolt

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Stargrove1, May 14, 2014.

1. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Hello,

I started out using the Robo3D a few weeks ago. I had issues with the hobbed bolt, the stock bolt was not centered, this lead to unconstant Filament flow and bad prints. I received a free replacement bolt (thanks to the Robo3D Team), but I ordered a Hyena V2 bolt at the same time since I think it's a key element of the printer.

After changeing the bolt, the material flow is very good, but because of a smaller diameter of the bolt, I need to change the EEPROM settings of the E steps per mm. I found the formula to calculate the value which leads to 872 at a diameter of 6.1mm, but after some testing and measureing I ended up in about 815. is it possible that the calculation is that far from reality? Does anybody use the Hyena bolt?

While searching for the correct value, I found different default values for the Robo3D, I saw the following combinations:

80.00, 80.00, 2267.72, 723.38 (used in my printer)
    80.69, 80.69, 2269.472, 747.626

Which values should be used for the "stock" printer? Are there different versions out right now?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3 steps isn't that much of an error. Best way is to calibrate it by marking the filament at the extruder inlet, extruding 50-100mm and mark again, then pull out the filament and measure how much it extruded.

3. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

I am confused now, what do you mean with "3 steps". I am trying to set the E value by measuring how long the fed material is by marking, but it seems to stay quite constant now even at big changes.

What about the X Y and Z steps?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Oops I guess I misread. 872-815 is 57 steps or like 6%. That's an allowable measure of error.

The robo should use 80. That's what the latest firmware uses.

5. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

If it helps, I also replaced my hobbed bolt with a better grooved version. I am using 753 for my esteps. I calibrated by marking filament 50mm up from extruder. Extruded 30mm (10mm at a time) then measure with calipers to see what was left. I did have mine originally set at 850 which I thought was correct at the time but I was actually over-extruding when I re-checked again.

6. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

I did the calibration in the same way now, after some measuring it turned out that the result is quite close now to the calculated value. Thank you for your support.

2 people like this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Funny that mine came out to 753 also.