1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

I am getting horrible prints!! Need help!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by nolanduly, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nolanduly

nolanduly New Member

I have a video I'll link of it printing the first layer too I'm currently uploading though. IMAG0466.jpg

2. nolanduly

nolanduly New Member

This is a video of first layer

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yup still way too high. It should be pressing the filament into the bed, not resting it on it.

4. nolanduly

nolanduly New Member

I've calibrated it about fifty times, there is no way to make it go lower

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Unless it's physically dragging the nozzle on the bed, you can go lower.

6. nolanduly

nolanduly New Member

So you're saying go way past the resistance of the paper when I calibrate it? Because I have gone past more than I thought was what it wanted and even then that's how it prints

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I don't know, I don't use matter controls utility because I could never get it working. Whatever you're doing it's still too high.

What are the values from your Automatic Printer Leveling settings?

8. nolanduly

nolanduly New Member

If you don't use matter control then what do you use?
    Capture2.PNG

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I use Cura. Though I define an offset manually and use Marlin's auto-leveling routine. It probes 9 points instead of 3. I have a thread about my auto-leveling procedures

1.86 and 1.94 are really high. I would expect the values to be closer to 1.14

If you raise your axis one paper width above the printer, then slide it from side to side, does it stay a papers width above?

10. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I'm amazed your prints are sticking to the bed at all and that you've been able to print all the way through on some of those larger prints.
    This actually sounds like a printer I was working on where it was binding just a little bit going to home. That was causing the printer to think it was at the bed when it was really a few mm above.

When the print starts, does the nozzle touch the bed in 3 places? or does it sort of move down, not quite touch the bed, then move to the next spot?

11. nolanduly

nolanduly New Member

Well when it auto leveled it touched the bed, did what I believe to be an adjustment and then went on to the next point. I am using hair spray to hold down the prints so maybe that's why they are sticking. If you have any advice for fixing it I'd greatly appreciate if you wold share. I'm giving it one last-ditch effort to make it work today. If it doesn't, I'm sadly going to return the darn thing

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If all else fails, turn off G29.

Or use cura/repetier host

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

14. nolanduly

nolanduly New Member

Okay so now I'm using repetier host. I'm not sure on how to level it in this software, could you point me in the direction where I could find out how to level it using this software? Thanks for all your help by the way

15. rogwabbit

rogwabbit New Member

You should schedule a 1 on 1 with skype tech support from their home page before trying to return it. It looks like you have a few settings wrong to me. I had a few issues with the first layer until I realized how it works. In matter control you can have the auto-level on OR the custom g-code, but you should not use BOTH. Your Z values you posted do seem pretty high. they should all be pretty close to 1. not as high as almost 2!

one side is 1.14 the other is 1.94 that seems pretty far off from one side to another.

A couple of things that may help, get a level or any other solid block that is high enough that the 2 rails the extruder runs on can sit on without the extruder touching the bed. Put it on the far right side and lower it until the 2 rods just touch the top of it, then put it on the left side and adjust the Z axis screw until it just touches evenly on both sides.

Then do your auto leveling in matter control and check the Z offsets. They should be much closer together then the ones you are showing.

2 people like this.
  16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Printer settings

Connection
    Baud Rate 250000

Printer: Default is fine

Extruder: 1
    Max temp: 290 for hexagon, 240 for J-head
    Max bed temp: probably 85, or 120

Printer shape: classic
    X max: 220 (or 228 but mine crashes at that)
    Y max: 254

Width: 228
    Depth: 254
    Height: 210

You will need to create new slicer profiles. Just copy the settings from MatterControls Slic3r and/or Cura profiles

Under your custom G-codes, and the start g-code, after G28 add this
    Code:
    G1 Z1.0      ;Raise nozzle 1mm for offset  (adjust this value to your liking, 1mm is a good start point)
    G92 Z0      ;Force define new home position
    G29            ;Perform autolevel routine

17. rogwabbit

rogwabbit New Member

One more thing, check that the Z rods are not too loose in the coupler. I had to put more teflon tape on one side because it was actually slipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.