1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

I am trying to find something for my daughter's PC

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Feb 3, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Does anyone here have a laser cutter/engraver that can engrave black Plexiglas? She want's to put her MSLive Gamertag on the basement cover inside her case and I don't know anyone local to Charlotte, NC with one that would be willing to do this.

We have nearly everything else done, custom paint, custom hard line water loop. using the colorway from a custom XB1 controller she wanted/has. All that is left is this laser etching/cutting part and to move the setup from her old case into this one.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We are looking to expand the stable to include an engraver (Blue UV laser style) but I will not have it running for a bit longer.
    Let us know if you find one that does work.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I want an engraver too, but currently building a new PC. We are retiring some of our older PCs so things are being moved around. My personal rig is moving to our spare. Our media server is a Celeron and we are going to upgrade to a repurposed Core i7 Gen 2 (current spare PC) and building a new RAID5 array with 4TB NAS drives (currently we are using 2TB desktop drives in a 14 TB array). My daughter is moving her current system to a new case.

I was looking at the cheap Chinese engravers with a 5+ Watt blue laser.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Great minds think alike. We bought the 1w kit and once we have to working* I will upgrade to the 5w module (which is more than double the cost of the entire 1w kit). We already have more goggles too since we had done the UV Laser SLA printer (a small and short-lived project, but cool).

*Plus I am less likely to start a fire while learning :)

#5 mark tomlinson, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    WheresWaldo likes this.