1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved I FINALLY BROKE DOWN AND GOT IT!!! ( R1)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Frankn, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Frankn

Frankn Member

Printed solid gave me a good deal on an R1, v6 hot end conversion, and display. I figure I saved over $100 on what I would have paid on Amazon.
    Now for the bad part:: I spent all day yesterday and a few hours today trying to get this bugger functioning. I lived thru all those horror stories I have read about setting one up. The first problem ,which kept creeping back was a failure of Robe to communicate with my computer, on and off. Then there was the problem that it would not self level or go thru the setup where you put a piece of paper under the nozzle. All this was complicated by the fact that there is no instillation or troubleshooting manual! The sheet that came with it said to take it out of the box, and the video added that the spool holder hangs on the back.
    OK, my son,37, is a bit more handy with a computer curser than I am, so he came in and helped . We got it to the point where it would print in air about a few inches above the table.. I don't know what my son did but a notice appeared on the screen that the Matter needed updating. My son got the updates downloaded. Wow, the whole screen changed. The temp that had been on the right side near the top was now on the left side and a big image of the work table was now on the right. We went thru the extruder to table adjustments. It now goes thru the leveling procedure OK. I tried the whistle. It looks great, smooth as ice, but the bottom layer is like a thin mat and peels off. It is smooth underneath. Hay, after those 'air sprays' it looks beautiful. I got to figure out where the thickness adjustment for that first layer is and what it is called.
    Installing filament is a real pain. That hole below the drive bolt must be about the same size as the filament with a flat area around it.
    Oh, I put my Sketch up STL in it and it tried to print it the size of a pea. it is about 5x8????????
    OH well, back to the beast. Frank
    111-2 700Warrior Head.jpg

#1 Frankn, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Be sure your units in sketchup are in mm. Scale up the part 25.4 to get it to the right size if you have it in inches.

For the first layer you might need to reduce the Z offset in the slicer settings.

Frankn likes this.
  3. Frankn

Frankn Member

Up 25.4% ! Metric strikes again! And I liked the fact that you could work in fractions in Sketch Up!
    Now all I have to do is locate the Z offset setting. lol
    Thanks MIke!

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Not 25.4% but rather 2540% or 25.4:1

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, that bites everyone (or almost everyone) at some point (even NASA).

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This is why we need to join the rest of the world with metric.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Preaching to the choir reverend, ☺

8. Frankn

Frankn Member

I found the solution for this! In Matter, V2, when you que a stl to print it, a picture pops up on the right that revolves. Under this picture is an edit box. Click on this ,and on the right side will pop up the conversion boxes. I clicked on inches to mm and the picture grew to the appropriate size and printed correctly. I am finding something new every day. My prints look great , EXCEPT FOR THE BLASTED first layer, which is a loose layer that peels off. I think it may be what everyone calls a raft. Wish I could find the control to get rid of that.

I tried some PLA. Now I know why you guys love that stuff. It stays in place on a 50C bed. Only problem is it breaks easy. Broke a print just removing it from the bed.

Still working on my Hula-Hoop project. The next cheap toy wonder. Have worked up some models and gotten the balance worked out.
    Working on the appearance now. Will test it out with kids at the playground if it ever warms up.

For the ABS lifting problem, I have tried blue tape, UHU stick, 3M general purpose adhesive spray. The White rain extra hold is next and that K tape. Frank
    Heads down_edited-1.jpg

It's all in how you look at it. turn it over!
    Or walk the image up until you just see the bottom half.

9. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

while G20(imperial units), G21(metric units, default) is supported in Marlin, it is not implemented. Why I don't know, due to them being used in commercial CNC machines.

10. Frankn

Frankn Member

It appears Matter V2 has the activation code it requires. There are several conversion choices. It's like live and learn for me. lol Frank
    PS, It even converts those things in Thingsgiven that look like dots on the screen because of the unit difference.

11. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

That's just an internal scaling for the Slicer in Matter Control. Not the firmware in the machine itself.