1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Incomplete prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by crazyshakespeare, Dec 14, 2015.

1. crazyshakespeare

I recently installed a reprap smart lcd in my printer. Everything has been going fine but i want to fine tune the system a little better. I attempted to print two different calibration cubes, both of which only print one or two sides of the cube. I have been using simplify with no issue till now...What could be causing this failure?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. crazyshakespeare

Not getting any that I know of...I notice when i watch it in the simulation section it only does the one wall as well, but the model shows to be full on import.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to run it through Netfabb or Azure and see if it has issues. If it shows incorrect in the render then it is going to print wrong too.

5. crazyshakespeare

Looked at it in netfabb....not really sure what im doing but it seems to be fine....am i missing something?

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Are the walls to thin to print?
    I am just guessing. Not at a printer.

7. crazyshakespeare

The one wall prints great

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:)
    That could be orientation. The slicer might still be falling down on the walls if they are too thin angled another way.
    I am not saying that IS the problem, but why not try a solid cube and see if it at least prints. Isolate it to the model and we know something at least.

9. crazyshakespeare

Im pretty sure its the models...When i import any other object they show up in the preview complete. I was really just wanting to dial in my extrusion multiplier. But it also happens when i print the below model as well...it only prints a J

Attached Files:

10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Don't forget when you are viewing a model in the slicer that you should really go to the layers view. It will tell you more truth as far as what the printer will or won't print. The normal view will just show the model all nice and neat, but the layer view shows the tool path a bit more and what details it can or can't produce given the layer height or nozzle size.

crazyshakespeare likes this.
  11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

S3D won't slice a wall correctly if it is under .45 mm with a .4 nozzle. You are much better off trying to print a solid calibration cube in VASE mode with just a few bottom layers, then S3D will automatically decide what the wall width should be.

That particular model you used was specifically designed for printers (Ultimaker, Makerbot) that use a .35 mm nozzle or smaller by default.

crazyshakespeare likes this.