1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Iphone 4S 2 part case

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Michael DiFilippo, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Just made this design in Fusion using a CAD drawing of an Iphone as a model Iphone. I wanted to create a case from scratch and not edit an existing one. My plan is to make this out of Laywood filament so I added the wood visual just to give it some life. Most likely use some felt tape on the inside of the case to ensure a tight fit and protection for the phone as well. There is a small (1mm) lip over the phone so I designed it to be 2 parts that interlock. Any questions let me know.

I did cutouts for all the ports and buttons, would be interested to see if I could make buttons for the power, and volumes but not sure how that would work.
    Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 6.25.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 6.26.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 6.26.13 PM.png with Iphone
    Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 6.26.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 6.27.02 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 6.27.08 PM.png Iphone removed, showing the interlocking components
    Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 6.27.56 PM.png Top "half" is in place, bottom "half" sliding in.

2 people like this.
  2. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Wow. I'm going to have to order some wood filament now.... How did you use the existing iPhone cad file to build this? Is there a way to build around an existing object? I'd love to see a step by step or a video Walkthru of hoe you designed around an existing 3D model.

2 people like this.
  3. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

By the way it looks great!

2 people like this.
  4. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

I'd have to agree with exactly what JDM_ said!

5. Michael DiFilippo

Thanks guys. I'll download a screen capture program and do a simple tutorial on how I did it for you guys. But a basic break down, in fusion I opened the Iphone and began in sketch mode, I used the perimeter tool to build off of the back of the Iphone and just worked from there. I need to sleep off these few drinks and get some other stuff done tomorrow but I'll get you a tutorial.

2 people like this.
  6. Michael DiFilippo

Alright guys here you go! Now I need to go get some real work done.

The video is a little long but I wanted to go through the entire process with as much explanation as possible. Let me know if it helps.

4 people like this.
  7. Michael DiFilippo

Well.. that isn't right at all. I'll try to get that fixed sorry about that

8. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Video error.

9. Michael DiFilippo

Fixing it now, the video was only 50 seconds so I am fixing it now. I'll replace the video once it is up.

2 people like this.
  10. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

Thanks Michael. That was a great bit of education for us budding makers

2 people like this.
  11. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

WOW... Thanks Mike... was this your first video tutorial? You're a natural teacher! You covered everything including why you were doing certain things which makes for a great instructional video!!! Well done...

So are you starting to like Inventor Fusion? I think It's more of a professional app verse 123D. Better for drawing technical stuff like that iPhone case? I don't think that could of been done in 123D.

1 question about the case you designed... Maybe I missed this but shouldn't you put a slight lip on the top so the case can click in? I was just wondering how it was going to stay on....

2 people like this.
  12. Michael DiFilippo

Thank you guys! Yes this was my first video tutorial, I am regularly teaching teaching people how to use programs like Photoshop and InDesign though so I have a tendency to "over explain" things. I will gladly do more as I continue to learn the program.

Inventor Fusion is now my program of choice, I agree it is a more pro app when compared to 123D although there are a few features that 123D has that Fusion does not yet (for example; the tape measure). Once I play a little more with Fusion I may try AutoCad as it seems to be part of the evolution from 123D to Fusion and finally to AutoCad.

As for your question about the lip, the case I designed and showed above does feature a lip, the case is a two part so I feel it needs the lip since the in theory the phone is acting as a key to the two parts. For the one I designed in the video, I am not sure if a lip would be necessary, I have seen other cases with out one. One way to add one would be to use the sweep tool. Here is a quick video since visuals make it easier to explain.

2 people like this.
  13. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Nicely done, Michael...

2 people like this.
  14. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Yo Mike Fusion 360 is out. Looks great. Adds a lot of features including threads. $25 a month is not bad for a pro app.

Do you have a STL of this case? I'd love to print one.

15. Michael DiFilippo

Hey JDM Let me look and see if I still have the files to make an STL... if I don't I'd be interested in re-visiting the design since I now actually have the 3d printer haha.

Also, I played with 360 as a beta user and it was WAY better. I need to convert over to the full version as soon as I have time to design some more.

16. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Fusion 360 looks like a good program and I think I'm willing to pay $25 a month for it. It's not a large investment to get a professional app like that.

17. Michael DiFilippo

Here is the STL... I haven't tried printing it so I have no way to know if its correct. I can give you a ".f3d" file if that would help at all. If you do print it let me know how it goes!
    I agree, 25$ a month isn't bad for a pro app, but I am not a fan of the 100% cloud based features, also I hope they cleared up some bugs that existed in the beta and have treated it MORE like a pro app vs inventor fusion.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.