1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

is an E3Dv6 upgrade still needed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jediknight0, Jun 8, 2015.

1. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

Hi everyone.

I'm getting ready to purchase a Robo3D printer, probably in mid July (or earlier if I get bored). I see lots of posts about upgrades such as the E3Dv6 but I also see a lot of posts about how nice the Robo3D is out of the box now. So I'm wondering if there is value in doing an E3Dv6 upgrade anymore... thoughts?

I already have an E3Dv6 I used as an upgrade for my QU-BD TwoUp printer so it wouldn't cost me anything but time, I suppose...

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

All the cool kids are putting volcanoes, cyclopes, chimera and krakens on their printers now.

But yeah, there are a lot of people doing just fine with the Robo out of the box, these upgrades are mainly for the people that love to tinker and get an added benefit like higher top speed print or something.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The E3D is a better/higher quality hotend than the Hexagon. The Hex is a lower-cost option for an all metal hotend.
    You may have zero problems with the Hex, but the E3D is a better unit.

Wait and see what you get and how happy you are with it.

All of the other variants (Volcano, Cyclops, etc) are for some specific feature so you really have to have a need for them.

Section 31HQ and Printed Solid like this.
  4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I sell for E3D, so I very much have a vested interest and I still agree with Mark and Daniel. The E3D is a great upgrade, but the hex holds its own. If your hex dies, definitely make the upgrade, but no need if it is doing well. Don't fix it if it's not broken, etc.

5. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm trying to wait to my birthday next month to purchase the Robo 3D but the waiting is getting hard...

Printed Solid likes this.
  6. dguisinger

dguisinger New Member

I know this is an old thread, but following up on his question:

What all do I need to install the E3D V6 on my R1+ ?
    I've seen custom carriages and fan assemblies, do I still need that with the R1+ or will it play nicely with the stock printer?

I've seen instructions on wiring it all the way back to the board... are there any instructions on wiring it to use the factory harness? I hate needlessly taking things too far from stock...

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Ever since they went to the Hexagon hot end, which was a few months before they started calling it the R1 (i.e. quite a long time ago) the hot end upgrade has been more an optional performance enhancement than a requirement to be able to print. The E3D V6 has smoother feeding, higher reliability, and is easier to maintain than the hexagon, but the hexagon is OK. If you're happy with its performance, you don't NEED to upgrade, but you definitely want to consider it when the hexagon fails.

I agree with you re: taking things too far from stock. You definitely don't need to go all the way to the board. I didn't. I used the hexagon's heater cartridge and the stud thermistor (which has a connector that fits with the stock thermistor connector) and then I spliced in the wires for the fan.
    You will need to make a slight modification to the carriage though. If you read the E3D guide and reviews thread, the first few posts describe how to install it. This is still mostly valid, however, you will need to print a new latching piece and new parts cooling fan brackets. These are described towards the end of that thread.

It's also worth noting that if you don't ever intend to run above about 240C, E3D offers the lite6, which is a lot cheaper. (we now carry that as well). You are giving up some capabilities, but there is no 'price penalty' if you want to go up to the full 6 at a later date as the price difference between the V6 and the lite6 is about the same as the price to buy the parts to upgrade from the lite6 to the v6.

8. dguisinger

dguisinger New Member

Hmm, well my first hexagon hot end clogged and was unfixable the day I got my printer, I've continuously had problems getting filament out when changing it, and now after only 3 weeks something has gone wrong with my temp sensor (it appears to not be in the hot end, as hooking up the old hot end is giving me the same MINTEMP error even though I see a temp readout on screen). I'm tired of having hot-end related fixes, would you recommend just ordering an E3D at this point? I put my replacement part order in with Robo3D on Friday but based on history it will be at least a week before I'm up and running. If I didn't have to print any replacement parts to be up and running, I'd probably jump on it... but if I have to wait for the replacement parts to come and to rewire my printer for them to fix whatever wiring/connector issue i have going on, then there isn't much of an advantage to jumping online today and buying the E3D...

I just want to get myself to the mythical island of stability.... I've heard you can get there

9. Makerparts

Makerparts New Member

I upgraded to a e3dv6 from the hex.. havent noticed any difference

Mike Kelly likes this.