1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Is it in firmware or is it the slicer?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by David Lockwood, Jul 25, 2016.

1. David Lockwood

I was wondering where the commands to start the sequence of heating the bed, then the extruder, then bed levelling then proceed with printing originate. I'd like to modify this but going through the firmware line by line to seek it out only to discover it is the slicer that handles it would be frustrating. Anyone have a handle on this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All of that is Gcode. So the slicer generates it and sends it to the printer.
    If you manually heat the bed/extruder it just sends them immediately otherwise it does it as part of the initial startup GCode block it sends to the printer.

This is what I have defined for mine in the slicer:

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-0.6 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level
    M117 Waiting for extruder to stabilize

M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; tool 0 temp
    M117 Working on Print

The M117 commands go to the LCD display.
    The variable "extruder0_temperature" is slicer specific (that one is for Simplify3D) and tells it to use the extruder temperature defined in the profile for the print.

3. David Lockwood

Mark comes through again! Worked like a charm. Sorry to be a bother but at 70 years old I'm not as quick on the uptake as I was in my twenties. I am learning, however. Thanks once again Mark for you continued assistance.