1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Is there a guide for specifically taking apart the R1+?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sam powell, Nov 7, 2016.

1. sam powell

sam powell New Member

Short story, I've had a handful of mostly successful prints with my less than 2 month old R1+....very happy overall. Then I got my first filament jam, I was unable to get it cleared without removing the nozzle/hotend and when I heated and retightened the brass nozzle I snapped it off in the heatblock. My fault....I've now got a brand new E3D V6 kit and the drilling of the actual machine worries me a bit. While I already have the hotend out, how do I go about getting the whole extruder assembly out? I would prefer to follow some sort of guide instead of just removing screws until I get it apart, and then potentially end up with a mess of parts that I cant put back together lol. Thanks!
    DSC_0125.JPG DSC_0080.JPG DSC_0186.JPG DSC_0096.JPG DSC_0185.JPG

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello, to remove you R1+ hexagon there are two screws if you look from the bed up under the extruder. Loosen the front screw (one towards robo lettering) then pull out the tab that has a square on the right side of the extruder. That is your quick release plate. With it pulled out the hexagon should come all the way out no problem.

danzca6 likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I always caution folks to put something soft on the glass in case the hotend comes out to quickly for you to catch and it chips or breaks the glass.

4. sam powell

sam powell New Member

Thanks for the reply Geof. I already had my hexagon hotend out and was looking for direction or guidance on how to remove the rest of the extruder assembly...since drilling of the original part is required in order to install the E3dV6, I'm thinking it would be best to remove the rest of the black plastic extruder instead of trying to drill through it while its still attached to the carriage..

Since factory robo parts are out of stock, when I ordered the E3dV6, I also ordered a complete reprap hexagon hotend as well. Last night I decided to try using the nozzle/heat block as well as thermistor and heating element from the new reprap kit with the original heat break(I'm not sure if that's the correct term, the longer ridged aluminum piece that latches in). It seemed to go together well although I don't like the silicone boot style vs the original. My first couple test prints seem to be successful. Are there any issues to be aware of with using the heatblock/thermistor/element and nozzle from a reprap hex kit on the original R1+? I haven't changed any settings and seem to be printing well enough. I will be doing some more test prints after work today...

5. sam powell

sam powell New Member

Ive been pretty cautious as ive seen how the hex hotend will just drop out when unlatched. Thanks!

6. danzca6

They are pretty much the same. The thermistor type is the same so no changes needed in the firmware. I see Robo does have their Hex hotends available again for $39.

7. danzca6

8. sam powell

sam powell New Member

well look at that they are back in stock...just ordered two of them as I like to have spare parts....when I called their support just a couple days ago I was told they would be out at least 3 weeks.....for now I have a ton of PLA that I want to print with and have been happy with the quality from the HEX so I think I am going to stick with that for now...once I am, ready to play with some of the ninjaflex that I have, ill consider installing the E3dV6. Thanks for the comments!

danzca6 likes this.