1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Is this noise normal for the printer or something to be concerned about?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by WizarDru, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

So I got my refurbished R1+ from Robo3D as part of their sale, which arrived last week. While I am having a printing issue I discuss in another thread (which may or may not be a problem with the printer), I have a concern which I just want to run past folks before reaching out to R3 support. When the auto bed-leveling function runs, it runs fine, EXCEPT that when it gets to the last three positions, the bed moves forward and stops with a pretty loud 'THUNK', which worries me. Do other folks printers make this sound and is it normal? For all I know it's supposed to do this as it hits a stop, but it doesn't do it in the other direction and I want to make sure that the printer was delivered to me with any issues fixed.

Here's a video of it, so you can see what I'm talking about. The part I worry about is about 20 seconds in or so.

2. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Your heated bed cable is too taught. Most likely from being pushed underneath during shipping. Pull the bed all the way to the back and ensure the cable has slack and moves freely. Additionally, it can't be hanging down at all or will bind on the printer.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Yep...what he said...:) Doesn't the R1+ models have some sort of clip under the bed for the wire now? I thought I read that somewhere. Definitely need to lift the glass bed up (just held on by magnets) and see what is happening under there. And if all is good there, then check under the robo to see if for some reason the cable is bunched up there. Not as likely, but better to get the fixed before trying to print anymore or else you break something having it tug like that.

4. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Yes - that clip sucks D. Even if you have the wire through the clip it can sag just low enough to interfere with movement. There is a replacement clip on thingiverse that basically flips that wire and it goes straight back. Have to print one of those one of these days :)

5. danzca6

6. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

Great, I'll check that when I get home tonight. I figured it shouldn't be doing that. Thanks!

7. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

That was it! I thought there were TWO cables under the bed. It was actually the same cable, bunched up from shipping (or by design and I missed that in the instructions somehow). I removed the bed, unbent the cable and now it has plenty of room.

Thanks, all!

Geof likes this.
  8. danzca6

Awesome! So glad to hear you resolved this. Have a great time printing now. Cheers!

9. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Excellent - post some pics of the awesome prints you make as payment! :)

WizarDru likes this.
  10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Somone on this forum made this, I'm using it on both of my printers it works much better than the stock ribbon holder to keep the cables out of the way.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1450925

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.