1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Issue cloging jamming/ filament crimping bending on the top part of the extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Omegagundam, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Hello all
    I am noe having an issue with my ABS filament going town into the extruder printing for 20 minutes then it stops coming out. I unloosen the 2 screws and pull back the lever i see alot of shavings and a big chunk of the abs is stripped away to where it wont get pushed down by the hobbed bolt. and on top of that when i pull out the ABS the filament is also bent under the area where the abs is stripped away. I have a very fine allen wrench that i can get down in the hole and push the ABS thru the nozzle to come out but when i do it seems i can feel like a lip there where the top of the metal extruder sits and the bottom of the plastic motor housing. i can manually push the plastic down like 2 inches with the etruder heat on and the ABS comes out but then it stops and i can push it anymore because it seems something is blocking it from going down. If i apply more force it bents the ABS. sometimes when i pull it out the abs is bent in a z shape almost. But if i use my fine allen wrench i can push it all through but its all burnt plastic. the exrtuder setting i have is at 235 degrees. its been printing fine for a week then i ran into this problem. i even took off the extruder to look in it if i can see anything in there was blocking but could not see much in the hole. i been cleaning it out alot pushing it thru clean off the hobbed bolt ran the abs thru the print head for like 1-2 feet and it seem fine. then 20 min later nothing comes out its all jammed the abs is bending and the bolt is chewing away the plastic.
    anyone have ideas or suggestion on what i can do?
    thank you all for your time

ps here is my artist rendition of the abs jamming times it looks like the drawing at times its a small slight bend. I dont have a pic or real thing because dummy me threw it out before realizng i should have saved it to take pictures.
    bending.jpg

Raul

Attached Files:

#1 Omegagundam, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  2. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is the fan on the hotend body running all the time?

4. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Hello,
    Yes i do belive it is running. its a fairly new Machine.
    I did another print attempt last night before i went to bed.
    i was printing the barrel part and 28 minutes into it it stopped coming out again.
    I think what ill do is season it. I never did that as i am somewhat new to the 3d printer thing.
    i was looking up to see who had similiar problems and i saw people were doing the seasoning.
    I will try that. I should also do the same on my rostock max too.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Seasoning will not hurt (I even run an oiler for constant seasoning) but I am not sure it will help if the issue is specific to ABS.
    With PLA it absolutely can help, other filament types not so much (but it won't hurt).

Usually with ABS it is more likely either heat creep (where the cold section of the hotend gets too hot) or filament too large...
    The heat creep is affected by the hotend fan so make certain that it stay running and that it is pushing (blowing) air across the hotend (not pulling it across).

6. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Which fan would that be? i see a big one and a small one. the small one seems to be always on
    the big one comes on and off at times and its angled facing towards the nozzle/heatbed.

7. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

hmmm well thats odd.I turned on my robo 3d R1 and i wanted to see if the small fan comes on when i told it to preheat the extruder and its not on.
    is it suppose to do that? even though im not printing just testing the preheat?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The 'small' fan (the one actually attached to the extruder body) should always be on if the extruder is heating/hot.

The other one is a parts fan (cools the part after/as printing) and for some materials/slices it will be on /off as needed and others (like ABS) not ever on.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You should print the Thorn hand cannon. Except for the 6 round clip it's an awesome gun, looks sweet too

10. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Ok kewl thank you.
    yeh the small fan isnt on so ill check the wiring to see if its connected properly if not ill go buy one from CNC. I had bought 2 from them for my rostock max but i already installed them on the printer . Ill look into that one see if i can find me one to print. My co workers play destiny so i know they will get excited when i bring it in.

11. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Here is my setup
    my Robo 3d and next to it is the Rostock max

PICT0689.JPG

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Nice. I've been jonesing for the Rostock max, too many home projects though.

13. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Oh yeh
    the Rostock max is a project alright
    if u have the time its a 22 + hour build. u basically built the entire thing including soldering your own circuit board and the rambo
    unfortunately for me it took 2 months because i work full time, am a gamer too and do free lance work.but for its price $900 for a 11 x 14 print space
    it was a great deal. The funny thing was when i got it i wanted to buy the ROBO 3d but they didnt have a product yet so instead i got the rostock max.
    i remember reading about it and seem had good reviews and plus they are here in San Diego where i live too.and now finally i got 1 !

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.