1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Issue with units shutting down...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Valor Props, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Valor Props

Valor Props New Member

Okay, so I posted this about a month ago maybe now, R1+ unit would randomly stop during prints. I tried adding another fan to cool the boards and that didn't help. I tried replacing the ramps 1.4 and arduino boards with some from amazon I was directed to but once I had everything plugged in, it caused smoke.

Does anybody have a reliable link for replacing these?

Next is I have another R1+ that has been doing a similar issue but definitely more odd. The lights have seemed dim lately but began flickering lately and even having to printer completely shut off. Sometimes if I move the carriage it will power back on then just shut back off. It also shut down and wouldn't restart for a few minutes after I turned the power off and back on. Even as I typed that last sentence, I watched the power turn off and back on a few times. Do you think it could be a bad power supply?

Haven't had an issue with ANY of the printers until recently and I have 5. I love my R1+ units but when it comes to replacing the hardware, I'm at a loss for reliable sources.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi mike, it could very well be the power supply. The ramps and arduinos we recommend are cheap, buy a few. (cheap and cheaply made but thats not always a bad thing). To check the power supply you'll need a voltmeter (digital multi meter) and you'll want to ensure your getting 12VDC out of the powersupply when the problem starts. If yes, Ramps or Arduino or cooling fan issue. You want to make sure the fan is blowing onto the ramps board. While your at it I'd check to ensure your supplying 110V AC to the printer (the outlet you have the plug plugged into ) I doubt thats the issue but the more to cross off the list the better.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, while they are usually workable the Arduino clone boards are 1/3 the cost for a reason.
    The RAMPS or the stepper drivers are probably the points of failure even still.

4. Valor Props

Valor Props New Member

I'll Check the power supply later with my meter. The outlets the machines run off of were all new installed for these, 110V out. Would you have a recommended link to a supplier for the ramps? as mentioned, less than thrilled about the last one.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I can point you at where I last bought the RAMPS boards solo, but out of three -- two were DOA*.
    (Prime returns work nice though)

So at the moment I would say stick with the kits that have everything included.

*I think I wrote that up in a thread, but still -- disappointing