1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Issues with new printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jacob Kirsch, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

I have had my printer for about 2 weeks. There have been several issues and I haven't been able to get a response from support in over a week. Here are the issues:

1) Small fan on hexagon hot end was DOA. The hot end needs a fan blowing over the cooling fins else it will clog. Support told me they would send a replacement on 8/15. I haven't received any further information or a replacement. I sourced my own replacement which has allowed me to successfully print with PLA.

2) The spool holder was cracked. I sent a picture and reported this in the same ticket as the hot end fan issue. Again, I've received no further information.

3) The springs on the extruder are different. One is super stiff making it almost impossible to move the latch to insert/remove filament. I've asked for replacement springs using the same support ticket as the fan and have received no response.

4) The screws holding the hot end in and one of the screws on a bed leveling switch are stripped. I sent in a picture using the same ticket as the fan and have received no response. I slotted the heads on the hot end screws with a Dremel and replaced them with hex socket cap screws.

5) The heated bed stops heating. I can get it to increase temp in increments of 5-10C to the desired temp, but a change of more than 10C will result in the bed no longer being able to heat. The polyfuse is getting exceptionally warm. My printer has a fan for the board, but even with the printer raised off of the table it is not adequate. I've done a ton of research on this, and the polyfuse triggers based on heat build up. If the polyfuse is heating up, it's *supposed to trip.* Putting a fan on it is NOT the solution. Putting in a larger polyfuse is the solution (not sure how important the suggested MOSFET change is yet). There are reports of the bed drawing 11-12A, and the fuse is rated to trip at 11A. The fan is an attempt to make the polyfuse function outside of its design limits. I have tried contacting support for this issue and have yet to receive a response.

I'm sure these issues can easily be resolved for very little cost, but I can't get a response from support.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a thread on here (search for POLYFUSE I imagine) that discusses this. I was lucky and a fan was enough to avoid me having any issues with it, but many people had to upgrade the affected parts (I did order the bits, but have not done it yet). I tend to think the mosfet fix is the correct one. The data supports it.

3. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

There are several threads about the heated bed issues. What I gather is the polyfuse used for the heated bed is inadequate. After hours of reading, I haven't been able to determine how important replacing the MOSFET is, though it seems both should be changed. I don't think the relay solution is needed if the polyfuse and/or the MOSFET are replaced.

It concerns me that Robo3D has provided advice to use an incorrect relay (a solid state one should be used) to correct this, and claims that the components on the RAMPS board are adequate if a fan is used. Attempting to cool a component that is meant to disconnect power based on it heating up is illogical. It's akin to continually putting air into a tire and neglecting the leak.

What concerns me even more is the lack of response from Robo3D to address this and several other defects. I understand this isn't plug-and-play, but broken and defective components out of the box is unacceptable. I might even be Ok with the heated bed issues if I were a Kickstarter backer.

Here are the best threads I've found regarding the heated bed:

- http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...ddition-to-prevent-heat-bed-cutting-out.1299/
    - http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...heat-bed-cutting-out-using-relay-switch.1300/

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

If you like soldering I would swap out the polyfuse and MOSFET. My bed can maintain about 112C without too much trouble. I might drop down 5C now and then.

The MOSFET I used is an IRLB3036PBF from Mouser. It has a lower Ron. Be careful when desoldering the old one. I suggest clipping it out first. Then use a solder wick or a solder sucker. I also used this 14A polyfuse http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/RGEF1400/RGEF1400-ND/1045837 . I kept the fan in place but I'm pretty sure the transistor and fuse do not get hot at all.

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Jacob, sorry I didn't see your last post before posting. I really never understood why anyone would ever consider a relay, solid state or not as a fix in that thread.

6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

If your filament holder is the same design as the Kickstarter one I suggest you throw it away. In it's place I bolted on lamp holder cover with a 1/2" diameter threaded tube, some PVC tubing and and giant washer from Home Depot. The assembly is bullet proof and can be unscrewed in two seconds. If you use your printer with kids I highly discourage you from using one of the filament holders that clips over the printer. It is too easy for the spool to drop on the glass bed during changes.

This is the lamp cover:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Taymac-Round-3-Hole-Lamp-Holder-Cover-in-Gray-LV330S/202284491
    I drilled out two extra holes in it.

Photos:
    IMG_2225.JPG IMG_2226.JPG IMG_2227.JPG

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The mosfet is the real source of the issue I think, but replacing both is not much tougher than replacing one.
    Like I said, I have been lucky and fan sorted it for me. I bought the parts and (being lazy) just never have gotten around to doing yet.
    If it starts happening, imma gonna do that. ;)

8. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

SteveC - Thanks for the suggestion on the filament holder. *Excellent* point about the ones that hold it above the unit.

I can solder, but I have a problem paying for and replacing the parts on a 2 week old printer with a 6 month warranty. Particularly on one that also came with broken components.

Below is what's been sitting in my Digikey cart since yesterday (the breaker would be for the solid state relay fix and I always buy spares). Even though it's only $20 with shipping, I can't pull the trigger on principle. Like I said, it would be different if this were an earlier generation unit.

upload_2014-8-26_14-34-47.png

2 people like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

AFAIK, the only solution the Robo team has implemented for this is -- a fan.
    Perhaps the new ones have redesigned RAMPS components (unlikely) or a better quality one (also unlikely, costs more).

I feel your pain, but the only difference you will likely have if they replaced the board is for it to start failing later (out of warranty).
    Principle of the thing and all that--I get it :) Good luck.

I got lucky and have simply not (yet) faced this, but I already have the parts in hand to swap at some point.
    No reason to think it is anything other than luck as I have at points in the past run the bed pretty much as hot as it will maintain.

10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I also totally agree with not wanting to swap them on principle, but I can only see Robo3D either swapping the RAMPS board out or just telling you to spread out the polyfuses a bit further. I wouldn't want to rely on either solution. Get rid of the extra's in your cart and maybe it will be a bit less painful ;).

11. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

Unfortunately I continue to get no response from Robo3D about resolving the problems with my heated bed. I've given up on getting them to do right by their customer.

I've put in an order with Digikey to get the fuse and mosfet. Looking forward to using the printer I've had sitting around for nearly two months :mad::)

2 people like this.
  12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've said it before. Robo3d is best used when assumed they'll ship you a replacement part eventually, but you're better off getting your own and using theirs as a spare

2 people like this.
  13. Andreas Nicholas

Andreas Nicholas New Member

supposedly they are just getting back from vacation... thats what they said in their email

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Jerry went to Germany for his birthday. First day off he's taken since he started there.

15. Andreas Nicholas

jerry I actually dig I think as much as I've been annoyed with their company, jerry actually seems to care and be responsive.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

He really cares but is between a rock and a hard place, and all the shit from above seems to get pilled on him.

17. Andreas Nicholas

well, on braydon who doesn't care obviously and looks like he was born to not care, and push the care onto mike maybe and definitely jerry: poor poor jerry.... which is part of why its hard not to just feel bad for the whole situation

but it's important to remember these ain't your buddies this is your business!

18. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

Update: I received a new board in the mail last week! There was no communication to indicate this was happening; it just showed up. It only took 3 weeks after reporting this to the credit card company to get it resolved. I won't go into details, but it seems I had to teach them how to work with the credit card company in order to get satisfaction.

I didn't check the MOSFET on the new board, but the bed fuse is definitely 14A. My board with the new fuse and new MOSFET is completely cool; I don't even run a fan on it. It seems to print pretty well with PLA. There's room for improvement, but not bad once the basic functionality was obtained (2 months after receiving it!). ABS is a whole other story. I'll save that for another thread :)

They really need to do something about customer service before it becomes their demise. The reviews on Amazon are spot on (Mike, you're famous :) I have friends looking to buy a 3D printer, but they know my experience and are reluctant to go down the same path. I don't know of any other printer at this price point with the same features (metal hot-end that can be easily upgraded, large build volume, Marlin firmware running on standard RAMPS with great community support), but having to fix so many things out of the box with such poor support from the manufacturer is a big negative. Jerry did the best he could in this situation; he needs some help and tools to manage support issues better.

I'm a backer of the EZ3D Phoenix printer. Plenty of issues with that project, but the printers that are working out in the wild are producing some fantastic prints. They just started working with a distributor who will be injecting some capital to get things moving. Hopefully they can get themselves together because I'd like to get my Phoenix up and running soon (1 year since the campaign ended!).

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Famous for all the wrong reasons. I can't believe he's allowed to call me out on that.

I've had many talks with them about customer service. They realize how serious it is and are taking steps to correct it. Small businesses are generally able to react fast to issues, but their rapid growth is causing serious growing pains. And rapid growth can be just as damaging as slow growth.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Worse really.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.