1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Issues with Z Step calibration when using auto level

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by applegeek, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The Z limit switches are in parallel. They both connect to the same input.

No the Z stepper motors run off the same driver. They just move up and down relative to the G29 response codes on X and Y movements.

G28 by itself should home in the middle. Don't really understand the rest of what you said

Reading your other questions: If your X axis is very off level from the Y then your switches might trigger early. You need to make sure you can move it from side to side a papers width above the axis.

For the magnets have you checked to make sure nothing is under it?

#41 Mike Kelly, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. applegeek

applegeek New Member

For the magnets. Yes I made sure there want anything under them. The metal in the slide is elevated in the hole for one corner. I'll get some pictures of it tonight.

For the other part. If the stepper motors were on different controllers and the z limit switches were on separat inputs the board could auto level the x axis make sure that it is square to the z rods. Since this is not the case manually turning one side should allow me to manually level it but I haven't been able to get that to work properly yet. Going to try again once I get home.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Use a piece of paper or a business card for calibration

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

applegeek,

I have searched the forum for some instructions on how to correctly align the two Z switches at each end of the Z axis. Apart from the Robo video I posted earlier (which does not really help anyway) I can not find anything useful.

In principle I think the best way to align the two switches would be to:

- power off the Robo
    - Move the extruder to the centre of the X and Y axes and rest the extruder tip on a piece of paper (or business card) on the bed. Check that the whole x axis assembly (rods, extruder etc) moves freely up and down on the Z smooth rods.
    - check the Z switches are orientated and seated properly (Robo video helps here)
    - adjust each threaded rod in turn (twisting clockwise/counterclockwise by hand) so that each Z switch opens and closes at the exact same point. You will need to disconnect each switch so you can check each switch separately. A a multimeter or some way of testing if each switch is open or closed is also required.
    - Reconnect the Z switches
    - Power up the Robo
    - Then using the gcode command G28 (no parameters) check that the X and Y home correctly and the extruder moves to the centre of the bed and probes for Z = 0. At this point an M119 gcode should show the Z endstop is triggered and BOTH Z switches should also have triggered at the same point. Note I have seen some reports on the forum where the Z nuts/switches can get stuck. It is important that these nuts/switches operate freely so they can both actually trigger at the same point.​

The result you want is that at least one of the Z limit switches on each side of the X axis are triggered at the exact same height irrespective of where the extruder is on the X axis.

I someone else has a better method to align the Z switches - please help or, better still, post a video.;)

#44 Ziggy, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. applegeek

applegeek New Member

Doing a test print now. It may not come out the best but should tell me if I got it working better. My 40mm fan lost a blade and I figured it would be better to not have a cooling fan than to have it vibrating the print head.

As for the Z switch calibration. The only other thing that I can think to add there is making sure that the z switch is mounted properly on the nut on the z rods as if they aren't the z offset may be different on each switch and that also needs to be the same.

6. applegeek

applegeek New Member

Do you guys have a recommendation for where I can get the connectors that are on the stock fan or order a new fan with those connectors on it?

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Uh I'd need to see a picture of the connector.

8. applegeek

applegeek New Member

Here you go.

Attached Files:

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

10. applegeek

applegeek New Member

Did a test print last night. With the x carriage leveled out properly it is now printing just fine. There is still the large difference in the numbers on the bed probes due to the plate not sitting all the way in but the auto level is compensating properly and the prints are coming out perfect now. I do appreciate all the help you guys have provided.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Good result.

I think the issue you had with the Z switches out of alignment is an inherent risk with the Robo auto leveling design. There does need to be a reliable procedure to get them properly set up.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah I requested that for the getting started video forever ago. The best we've got is that horrendous video.

13. applegeek

applegeek New Member

So I tried doing a full print last night and the print is still having issues with the z height. Here are the pictures from it. Going to do another print to get a full log for you so we can see what else may be going on with this.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.