1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Issues with Z Step calibration when using auto level

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by applegeek, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applegeek

applegeek New Member

Hello All,

I have a Robo3D r1 with the auto level and I am currently stumped on an issue. Here are my specs currently.

Filament type: PLA - generic non named from fry's
    Extruding Temp: 210c
    Bed Temp: 50c
    Bed makeup: Glass with watered down wood glue for platform adhesion.
    Firmware Version Auto Level 7.17 5/16in rod
    Hotend E3DV6
    RepRap XXL LCD screen to print from sd card.

When I first started using the printer I noticed that the calibration for the number of steps per mm was off for the z axis and my prints were coming out smushed. I recalibrated it with the following settings.

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2582.6,723.38}

Now the issue that I'm having is when I do a print with the auto calibration on using the following start code in Cura I get a print with massive ridged spots and the overall height is off. Here is my start code that I am currently using.

Code:
    G21        ;metric values
    G90        ;absolute positioning
    M82        ;set extruder to absolute mode
    M107       ;start with the fan off
    G28 X0 Y0  ;move X/Y to min endstops
    G28 Z0     ;move Z to min endstops
    G29             ;autolevel bed
    G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
    G92 E0                  ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E3              ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
    G92 E0                  ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 F{travel_speed}
    ;Put printing message on LCD screen
    M117 Printing...
    Here are two different prints showing the difference side by side. In image1 the left is the one that had the auto level on, right is the one with it off. Image 2 shows the ridges on the print compaired to that of image 3. Both of these were printed from the same exact stl file and I can upload that if needed also. I'm trying to figure out why when the auto level is on the z calibration seems to be off or the printer is missing steps when raising the print head. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

#1 applegeek, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

With 5/16" threaded rods your steps per unit should be

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2267.72,723.38}

But it appears from the prints that you have 8mm threaded rods. Recent model Robo's have 8mm threaded rods and in that case the steps per unit should be

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2560,723.38}

I am not sure where you got the 2582.6 value from? But for 8mm it should be 2560.

Re the auto level issue:

I am assuming that when you say you switched auto level "on" you mean you switched it on in MatterControl?

If so, there will be a problem because the Marlin firmware also has auto levelling built in using the G29 gcode. If MatterControl auto levelling is also switched on then both functions will interfere with each other. The solution is to switch OFF the suto levelling in MatterControl.

Also I can see there is an issue with your start code. I suggest you modify to

G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
    M107 ;start with the fan off
    G28; move X/Y to min endstops and probe for Z home
    M565 Z0 ; set Z offset

G29 ;autolevel bed
    G1 X10 Y10 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform front left and up 15mm
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 F{travel_speed}
    M117 Printing...

Any heating of bed/extruder should be done before this start code

The M565 Z?? offset value will need to be determined for your printer. Basically this value is the adjustment between where the Z probe thinks zero Z is and where the extruder zero Z actually is. On a Robo with the levelling switches on each side of the X axis the Z offset will be less than a couple of millimeters.

Hope this helps

3. applegeek

applegeek New Member

Hey Ziggy,

Thanks for the reply. I purchased my printer back in August and I even measured the threaded rods and they were 5/16ths but I can try the 8 mm firmware. The step calibration that I'm using is from printing a 175mm tall object and measuring what the printed height/model height was and adjusting the steps accordingly. When I first got my printer they only had one version of the firmware for the auto level so I don't know if that makes a difference.

As for the auto level. I'm not using matter control at all. I slice the model with Cura and then print from the SD card with the LCD screen. The difference in the two prints is weather or not I had the G29 code in there or not. I tried looking through the firmware to see if there was a second place for the step calibration that would be used for the auto level prints but I wasn't able to find anything.

#3 applegeek, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  4. applegeek

applegeek New Member

And I realized that 5/16th and 8mm are the same diamater but different threads. I'll try the other firmware when I get home and see if that fixes the auto level but if the steps per mm are the only difference between the two then I don't think it will make a diifference.

5. applegeek

applegeek New Member

Okay, I updated to the 7.17 8mm firmware and Here are the results. Printing with the following start code I get a good print. No issues with it squishing but it is harder to get the z offset set properly and I have to do it manually on each print.

Code:
    ;M190 S50 ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line
    ;M109 S210 ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line
    G1 2.0
    G92 Z0
    G1 Z15.0 F4800 ;move the platform down 15mm
    G1 F4800
    M117 Printing...
    When I print with the auto level on, the print is now too tall and the last layer was stringy and the individual traces can be moved with your fingers. I couldn't get a good picture for the difference but it is about 10% taller than it should be. Here is the start code I'm using for this one.

Code:
    ;M190 S50 ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line
    ;M109 S210 ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line
    M565 Z-1.0 ;z offset
    G29             ;autolevel bed
    G1 Z15.0 F4800 ;move the platform down 15mm
    G1 F4800
    M117 Printing...
    This gets me a great initial layer but the subsequent layers are too tall and it doesn't print properly. Any ideas on what I can do to try to fix this?

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi

I still think you need to change these two lines in your start code

G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
    G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops

to

G28;

But this won't be causing issues with the subsequent layers being too tall.

To fix the layer height, first thing is to be sure whether you have 8mm threaded rods or 5/16 inch. If you have a decent micrometer probably the easiest way to check is move the Z axis manually (say 50mm) and check with the micrometer how far it actually moves.

There are only two possible values for the Z steps/mm (one will give you the correct Z movement)

8mm rod = 2560
    5/16" rod =2267.72

I would expect from your comment about layers too tall, you have 2560 set but the rod is 5/16"

Once you get this right, the layer height in the slicer will also be correct.

This might not solve all your layer problems but will be a solid foundation to improve from.

7. applegeek

applegeek New Member

So I've tried both firmware versions. If I leave the z step calibration alone on the 5/16ths one the print is smushed. If I adjust it to the correct steps it will only smush it when I use the G29 code and print just fine with that line omitted. If I use the 8mm firmware. The print with no adjustments to anything and the G29 line omitted the print comes out properly but if I add that code back in it comes out too tall. What about the G29 line is changing the z step calibration/how tall the final product comes out?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Well that is indeed a weird problem with the G29. The G29 should only probe the 9 points on the bed and calculate the bed plane - nothing else.

Can you post please

- Where you are getting your firmware from, and

- The log file from MatterControl (or Repetier Host) for the start up gcode through to the first layer or so of the printing.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

As well as the above please change your start code from

G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
    G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops

to

G28;

Although you would think the gcodes will give the same result - they do not!! A G28 with no parameters also probes for the Z homing position. The G28 Z0 does not!

I ran your start code (after the changes) on my machine with no problems.

#9 Ziggy, Dec 30, 2014
  10. applegeek

applegeek New Member

The firmware I'm getting is directly from robo's site. The links are from http://help.robo3dprinter.com/Wiki/RoBo_3D_Firmware

As for the log file. How would I go about getting this. I'm printing directly from the sd card reader on the reprap xxl lcd screen. I'm using cura to slice and put the g-code directly on the card.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok firmware source is ok.

Can you print from MatterControl (or from Repetier Host) rather than the SD card? That way you can see a log file of what is happening.

EDIT I need to drop off line for a few hours. If you can't post a log file, PM me with your actual gcode file from the SD card,

#11 Ziggy, Dec 30, 2014
  12. applegeek

applegeek New Member

I sent you a pm with the log file and the gcode from the sd card. Making the changes to the g28 line now has it auto home to the center of the bed after all the endstops. I've never gotten mattercontrol to work for me properly and after doing a z calibration on it in the software it had issues with going to -37z durring the zero and then printing 12mm above the bed. Cura has worked the best for me so far and I'm currently using 14.07 version. I have to go to be myself but will post in the morning with the results of the latest test print.

Attached Files:

13. applegeek

applegeek New Member

The print I did last night also had problems with the z height being too tall on each layer so the layers didn't bond properly and it left the top almost all strings. I was watching it for a bit and it almost seems like when the autolevel compensation as the print head moves side to side the z axis is missing steps on the downward movement. I don't know if there is a way to tell for sure or if there is a way to try to fix that.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Z height too tall probably means you're running the wrong firmware.

Measure out an inch of threads and count how many there are. Or measure the thread pitch with a micrometer.

if it's 18 or 1.411mm then it's 5/16, if it's more than 18 or 1.25mm then it's M8

15. applegeek

applegeek New Member

I've got the right firmware. The prints come out correct height wise when I don't use the auto level. The only difference between the two different prints code wise is if its got the g29 line in it or not. With out it the print does fine after manually adjusting for the bed height. With it, the print comes out too tall on the 8mm firmware and too short on the 5/16ths firmware.

Here are the scenarios that I've done prints/tests with so far.

1. 5/16ths firmware, z step calibration changes as noted above, no auto level. Print comes out fine.
    2. 5/16ths firmware, z step calibration changes as noted above, with auto level. Print comes out too short and multiple layers are smushed out the side of the print.
    3. 8mm firmware, no z step calibration changes, no auto level, print comes out fine.
    4. 8mm firmware, no z step calibration changes, with auto level, print comes out too tall.

So based on that evidence the 8mm firmware is the correct firmware for my printer but I will grab my reloading calipers from my parents house later and measure out the threads just to confirm.

My main question right now is what is it about the auto level that is causing the z layer heights to be different and not correct for the settings that I have on the printer.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

what autolevel are yu running? The APL from MC?

17. applegeek

applegeek New Member

I'm using the 9 point autolevel that is triggered by adding the G29 line to the start code on the print. I don't use MatterControl as I've never been able to get it to work properly and doesn't have the level of control that Cura does.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

19. applegeek

applegeek New Member

I will try that when I get home. Do you want me to do a specific infill setting or leave it at 20%?

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm, it might be interesting to see of there is a real difference for you between that and say 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.