1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Jacob's 3d Printer!

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Jacob B., Jul 13, 2013.

1. Jacob B.

Jacob B. New Member

Well, it's here, and I now have got a print off of it I'd consider a success. Mostly.

IMAG0172.jpg

More on the print later, first, the printer.
    Here's my at-a-glance, 24-hours out of the box review.

The Good:
    - It's a magical machine that somehow makes stuff out of plastic!
    - Everything works!
    - The different pitches of the motors as they move creates the soothing melody of SCIENCE.
    - I've never 3d printed before, I'm not "handy" and I don't identify myself as a "DIYer", yet I managed to get it to work.
    - That means you probably can too!
    - It basically delivered on everything that was promised. It was easy to set up (plug in, adjust Z stop) easy to start up, and look nice.
    - The bed was perfectly level.
    - Like, perfectly.
    - Dude, it traveled 3100 miles in the "tender care" of the USPS, and the bed is level.

The Bad:

- These are all basically nit-picks, but hey, might as well mention them.

- The printer head clipped one of the binder clips the first time I told it to "Home". The raised ridge happened to lie exactly in the path between the front-left corner and the center of the bed.
    -I just slid it down a bit, problem solved.

- The wiring on the bottom is a bit sloppy. As it lacks a base-plate, this could cause it to snag on something, I'll have to be careful.

- The Z-Axis stop. It's hard to adjust.

- If I move it up/down the Z-axis at full speed, the left threaded rod squeaks, and seems a bit wobbly.

The Rest
    - It came with this cute little fan in a bag. I imagine it's to cool the plastic as it comes out of the nozzle.
    - Where, exactly, am I supposed to mount it?
    - Where on earth are the pins it's suppose to plug into.

- My dog lacks my enthusiasm about home fabrication. She remains fixated on home bacination.

As for the "First Print":
    Newbs to 3d printing, realize that when I call this a "first" i mean "First thing that can really be considered a print".
    I spent a few hours wrestling with the infamous problem:
    Print refused to stick to bed. tried many, many times. Cleaned bed, got bed hotter, etc etc etc. This resulted in a dozen "prints" of gooey/stringy messes.
    - Solution: Aquanet extreme hold. (Unscented).
    - p.s. this stuff sucks to clean off the bed later.

here's a closeup of what I ended up with (the 5mm calibration cube from Thingiverse)
    IMAG0173.jpg

And the backside:

IMAG0174.jpg

Only a little minor sagging in the overhangs (though a bit more, not visible in picture, in the infill)
    I'm, quite frankly, floored by the initial quality, ignoring that top block ;)

No looping, no silly stringiness, crisp corners, overhangs, and a pretty dang smooth surface considering this was printed in .25mm layers.

Yeah, that top block, about him. That one turned into a gooey cylinder. I think I need to either slow down the printspeed (or at least the acceleration), add the cooling fan, or drop the print temp. Or maybe all three.

I'm still have a few other issues I still need to work out first though:
    1.) the extruder slowly leaks out a bit of plastic when it's up to temp. It stops if I set it's temperature lower, (195 or so) but at that point, it can extrude for printing.
    2.) The filament doesn't seem to be feeding well. Anyway to give it a better grip on the filament?

Well, the adventure continues tomorrow!

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

search the forum for user improvements.

3. ponwer

ponwer New Member

Wait a minute...it came with a fan? Can you please list everything it came with? Thanks.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well now your experience starts....Print...Ask questions....Give answers.... Such is the world for the ROBO 3D printer owner we look forward to hearing more from you and some outstanding prints as well.

Enjoy

2 people like this.
  5. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Ponwer, the fans are starting to be shipped with them, but from my understanding they're still waiting on the mounts. So far, the printer, power and usb cable, and fans are shipped with the printer. Oh and the box and packaging. lol

2 people like this.
  6. Jacob B.

Jacob B. New Member

Actually harry, quick question about the fan mount, is there a .STL available anywhere?
    Figure I might was well try printing my own :)

2 people like this.
  7. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Jacob, I know one exists, I need to try to get it for you guys and post it.

8. ponwer

ponwer New Member

Hah thanks, didn't know it came with a fan but i'm excited it came with one :)

9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey, just got permission to upload the fan mount. I'll post it in mods and upgrades.

2 people like this.
  10. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

11. Neeraj Verma

Neeraj Verma New Member

Thanks for sharing these information