1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Jammed nozzle!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Matt Barnes, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Matt Barnes

Matt Barnes New Member

Hi there folks,

I would like to first mention that I have the Hexagon all metal Hot End.

I was just beginning a print with some relatively new material (I have used it once before) and I found that no material at all was put down on the bed. I stopped the print and checked that the extruder wasn't eating away at the filament, I then heated the hot end up to try and remove the filament and it wouldn't budge!

I ended up using slightly excessive force and broke the filament off just below the hole after the extruder. I proceeded to remove the hot end from the main body, heat it on up and tried to pull the filament out of there. Still nothing!

Finally I bought a guitar e-string and tried clearing out the nozzle end while hot and found I could get the string up as far as the material started to become solid so it seems all clear.

Can someone please give me some advice as to how to remove this piece of filament from the hot end so i cant get printing again?

Thanks alot!

Matt[​IMG]

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Heat it up (170+) and just pull it out.

2 people like this.
  3. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Agreed. If 170 doesn't work then keep bumping it up until it does. It should either pull out or you should be able to push it through the hotend.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, what they said. Leave it disconnected (mechanically) from the extruder if that makes it easier to get at.
    Heat it up and pull it out.

5. Matt Barnes

Matt Barnes New Member

Aha! It required a hefty tug with a pair of pliers, turns out the filament is ever so slightly too thick for the hot end. Not sure whether it is the whole reel or just a section of it. Thanks guys

6. Matt Barnes

Matt Barnes New Member

I got the material from 3Dfilaprint.com, does anyone know if this is a regular problem from external suppliers?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not that I am aware of. I have gotten a lot of filament from a lot of sources -- some far better than others, but I have not yet had this issue. I know of a few that reported on the forum that they had a bad spool.

If it is a reputable dealer they will take care of it if you contact them.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Measure the filament diameter with calipers.

Also ensure your hot end fan is running.

9. Matt Barnes

Matt Barnes New Member

The hot end fan is running fine thanks!

I have come to the conclusion that there is variation in the thickness of the filament which caused the jam, just need to decide whether I can use the rest of the spool or whether to send it back.

Thank you everyone for your help