1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Jittery Stepper at higher heights

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bryson, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Bryson

Bryson New Member

My printer stepper will start to jitter when the skirt is being laid down, but will be fine after that until it reaches higher heights, somewhere around 100mm. I've also noticed that when i try to replace my filament it has some resistance, but if i extrude it a little bit I am then able to pull it out just fine. I am printing on a Robo3D R1+ with Solutech PLA @ 190 degrees. Any thoughts? Could this just be a clogged extruder?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Could be. Have you seasoned the extruder? Sounds like its "jamming" slightly.

Mechanical options being- weak stepper driver (assuming the stepper is jittering), clogged exruder, large greg wade gear to tight.

Simple troubleshooting- switch to a brand new spool and see if the problems persist.

my bet is you need to season the extruder.

3. Bryson

Bryson New Member

I will try these, what would be the steps to season the extruder? just running prints?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

no. Dip the filament in canola oil (like the cooking oil :D ) and then manually extrude that filament through the hotend. You dont need a ton of oil on it, just a light shimmer. I typically will dip it then use a paper towel and spread it down a few feet of filament. That usually is more than enough for a while.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

6. Bryson

Bryson New Member

Thanks all, i will give these a try.

Geof likes this.