1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Just to prove it doesn't matter...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mark tomlinson, Sep 12, 2016.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I had worked with a friend to get his business moving with 3D printers and even did an initial setup / config on the R1+ when it came in. Got Simplify3D working for him (on his laptop) and off he went. (this was weeks ago).

I was over at his shop this weekend (my son works for him and occasionally has to trek over there) and he needed a camera cover printed (they use Alloy 910) so I grabbed the STl and went over to the PC to handle this for him. He also was complaining that there was a bit of warp on the bottom few layers (it was non-trivial warp at that). So I decided to review the settings.

Now let me stop and point out that he is not the one who does the printing. He had handed that off to one of his workers and they had been getting stuff printed (with some defects as mentioned).

First thing I noticed was that I could not find Simplify3D even on that desktop... WTF? Oh, the other fellow didn't like it and was using Repetier host. <shrug> OK, seems a bit silly, but OK. Took me a while to relearn the new version of Reptier enough to tweak the settings and even then the slice was a little off so I just installed S3D and hooked his license back up. Set the temps as suggested and THEN spent about an hour jerking around with the Z offset. ! What a pain :) One flying spaghetti monster after the other...

Turns out the correct number was 0.75 ... Yep with that filament 0.7 would not work reliably and neither would 0.8, but 0.75 was perfect.

I felt silly having to spend an hour messing with that :) However the prints were totally warp free when printed with the suggested bed and extruder temps so .. he was a happy camper.

P.S. Alloy 910 should not warp. The fact that his was is what drove me to fiddle with it :)

#1 mark tomlinson, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Not using a $150 printing software after purchasing it and setting it up ... <face-palm> Typical failure to be able to change from what they already know.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea :)
    In whatever little defense I can muster for the guy who got tasked with the printing.. I did the setup on the owners laptop while he was over . They then decided to use another PC for printing when he got back to the shop. Still...

I am still a bit embarrassed that it took that long to sort out the Z offset :(

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

lol perfection takes time :D

mark tomlinson likes this.