1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Knots in filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ian Tiller, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian Tiller

Ian Tiller New Member

I have noticed when I do a 100 mm extrude there are random knots in the extruded filament. Is this because of debris in the nozzle or what?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Could be caused by steam (from water vapor absorbed by filament). Could be caused by an imperfection in the nozzle. Or could be caused by crappy filament (or likely a lot of other reasons). It might be as simple as the temperature -- if nozzle temperature wrong for that filament. If I run way to hot then PLA gets all sort of twisty and strange as it extrudes. It will swing up and stick to the nozzle... Take and post a picture if you can.

3. Ian Tiller

Ian Tiller New Member

it is giving me an error when i try to upload but i lowered the temp and the knots are just about gone so I'm going to try a print and see

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good idea :)
    For PLA you can jack up the extruder 100 mm or so and do some 10 mm test extrusion at various temperatures to find a sweet spot.
    You don't want the filament to curl immediately back around and stick to the extruder (too hot).

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I wouldn't worry too much about what the filament looks like coming out of the nozzle into open air unless you're having problems with your prints.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Upload pictures to IMGUR.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.